Replies

• gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I don't diet, I simply eat less then I burn every day
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I ate 1,700 calories worth of food I enjoy each day and chose activities I enjoyed doing.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Don't call it a diet, call it a lifestyle change.

Don't be unrealistic in your goals. Break your weight loss goals up into small portions.
    Don't be unrealistic in your intentions. Eating "no unhealthy foods" and exercising every single day can be unrealistic if you're normally sedentary.

Ease into your changes.
  • SuperBott
    Options
    Small steps, one step at a time. First step, start logging all your food. Once you've done that for a couple weeks, you'll have an idea of what your diet is already like and where you can start changing it. Myself, I started by increasing my protein intake and reducing processed sugars. You can make more changes as you go on if you feel they're needed.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I prelog my day, trying to come in between 1700-1900.

Then I go about my day, sticking to what is logged. I weigh my food and measure my liquids for accuracy. I always fit in some ice cream and a cookie or two.

I go to bed happy and start over the next day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    how do u pro,s do it
    I don't diet so no problem sticking to it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Like all the other "pros" out there, we DON'T diet. Diets are usually overly restrictive and unsustainable. You need to get out of the diet mentality and make a permanent lifestyle change. Whatever you do to lose the weight needs to be something you are willing and able to continue with for the rest of your life. Otherwise, once you stop the diet the weight comes back.

You don't need to punish yourself, cut out all the good things, or follow crazy fads. Just watch your calories. Sub in healthy options when you can and don't be afraid to enjoy your favorites. Just make it all fit within your calories and/or earn more calories through exercise. It's really VERY simple once you learn the "trick" to it.
  • thegnurd
    thegnurd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The key is deciding whether or not weight loss is really your priority (How important is it to you, and is it more important than relaxing in front of the TV and eating until you're full).. If it is really your priority, your decisions will reflect that in the food and exercise choices you make. If it is not truly your priority then you will be living in a constant battle with yourself every time you walk past good food or a TV.

The next step after deciding that it is a priority is to pick a realistic goal with a target date, work backwards to figure out what that means, and make the changes.

If you make your goal ... awesome. Celebrate and set another. If not, figure out where you went wrong, adjust the plan, and keep going.

Good luck!

-Chip
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I ate 1,700 calories worth of food I enjoy each day and chose activities I enjoyed doing.

This.

I haven't eliminated anything from my diet, and I eat the foods I've always eaten. I just make everything fit into my calorie goal for the day (1700 calories). I have modified some of my favorite meals to be more nutritionally balanced, and I pay close attention to portion sizes, but nothing is off limits.

Just eat at a moderate deficit, choose foods you like, and find exercises you enjoy. :smile:
  • DancingOnCloud9
    DancingOnCloud9 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

This.

I haven't eliminated anything from my diet, and I eat the foods I've always eaten. I just make everything fit into my calorie goal for the day (1700 calories). I have modified some of my favorite meals to be more nutritionally balanced, and I pay close attention to portion sizes, but nothing is off limits.

Just eat at a moderate deficit, choose foods you like, and find exercises you enjoy. :smile:

YES! Exactly what I've started doing. It's coming off slow, but steady and I don't feel like I'm dieting. I eat what I like, but stay within my calorie goal, 1600, and if I want to indulge and have more, I plan to do more exercise. I've also introduced myself to more fresh foods, but I don't make myself choke down anything I don't like.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options

Don't be unrealistic in your goals. Break your weight loss goals up into small portions.
    Don't be unrealistic in your intentions. Eating "no unhealthy foods" and exercising every single day can be unrealistic if you're normally sedentary.

Ease into your changes.

This ^.
    Follow these guidelines and you'll be good to go.
    ps. I'm a 1911 man myself. =8^)
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options

Ease into your changes.

This person beat me to it.

I find that people who use the word 'diet' are often the ones who fail.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    throw out the word diet its a live it.. i plan on eating this way the rest of my life
    throw out the word cant.. it doesnt exist. you do what you set your mind to
    log honestly
    follow the power of 3.. eat clean you decide what that means to you
    train mean- 30 min of exercise a day
    drink water

this is what has worked for me. you have to find what works for you.

baby steps= big goals you didnt put the weight on overnight it wont come off overnight.. be patient.

set smart goals

http://www.fitnessmantra.info/2007/09/13/smart-goal-setting-for-fitness-and-weight-management/

believe in yourself.. you CAN do this.

my log is open if you want ideas.

i also have a group anyone is welcome to join

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/18785-motivation-support-and-accountability
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

This...except 1,500 calories and my exercise calories. Don't deprive yourself.
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I don't diet, I count calories. So if I want that cookie (which is rare now) then I have to work out to lose the calories or eat less during the day or both. This is a life changing commitment. If you want to be healthy than you have to be accountable for what you put in your mouth. I always thought I ate healthy until I realized how many calories I was really consuming. There are some salads out there that are more than your daily allowance. It is not a diet, it is about making better choices. Once I realized the cake or cookie calories were more than a decent healthy meal I no longer desired to eat the sweets. Another huge calorie intake is drinks. I mostly drink water. Juice and other drinks just aren't worth the calories.

Good Luck. Eating healthy will not only help you lose weight but you will feel so much better. Sugar and garbage food just makes you feel awful (even if you exercise).
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    If I eat over my goal one day I consider it sticking because I average out my calories over the week.
    If I'm awfully greedy and really over eat I forget about it. You have to eat an awful lot to gain a pound in a day. I think I'd have to eat about 5500 calories. So unless I consider myself a failure and over eat for the next month, on meal or one day isn't going to make a great difference.

Also, track and measure carefully. If you are feeling deprived, address it and if you need to make room for a slice of pizza or a glass of wine, do so.
  • catita1025
    catita1025 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    ...would rather focus on you...

As others indicate, it's not a "diet."

Why do you believe you're not able to do this?

Best wishes.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    how do u pro,s do it

Step 1 is acknowledging that it isn't "can't" - it's "won't".
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    how do u pro,s do it

Step 1 is acknowledging that it isn't "can't" - it's "won't".

I don't disagree but...well. *hands you flame proof vest*
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I me neither, just today I had taco bell, and Wendy's!