foods to take to track meet

Options
leslisa
leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
Taking food to a track meet. We'll be there from 3:30p - 11p if it's like last year. What do you think about ham on whole wheat. No cheese, no mayo, no mustard. Can also do plain pasta. Any idea how to season so it won't make them sick. A lot of them will do one event and then another event about 3 hrs later. I'll have bananas, too, but they are nasty if it's cold. How about hot tea. Think that will be OK? It's always a cold meet, too.

Replies

• TansieEye
    Options
    Tea is always good especially if it's fruity. :) The hard part is not snacking on baked goods they always sell at meets. I'd come armed with grapes, celery sticks with a little reduced cal PB, maybe some popcorn (paper bag, popcorn kernels, fold top of bag and put a piece of tape on it to close, microwave maybe 2 min., done, air popped and very low cal). Basically you can't go wrong with any kind of vegetable in strips (bell peppers) with a low cal dip like salsa either.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    When I ran cross country we had trail mix, bananas, peanut butter (huge jars you can get from Costco), and bagels. Of course, you have to be careful if any nut allergies, but we didn't have any.
    When I ran track it was the same with bagels and trail mix, but sometimes people brought their own chicken breast. Also had Clif Bars, power bars, and again plenty of bananas. Oh and carrots...oh and hummus. But that was just because one of our top runners was ADDICTED to carrots and hummus.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Oh and hot tea could be good, but it is a diuretic. Sometimes people would bring hot water and have apple cider or hot cocoa packets and would add them in.
    If you heated up some things you coud store them in a warm container...I just never liked warm things after running. But ideas I have for you that I would eat when got home:
    Sweet potatoes or baked potatoes
    Steamed rice with brocolli and chicken mixed in
    Pretzels with fat free cheese
    PB banana sandwich
    S'mores with peanut butter instead of chocolate

I do like the pasta idea and an idea (it may sound disgusting but its good) is mixing in black beans with it. But not if about to go run the next event. Gas is not fuel when comes to running lol.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I didn't reply - but thank you! I took many of your suggestions =). The peanut butter went over super duper well. I just bought a bunch of small spoons and the kids ate it from the jar!