Crazy fluctuations- back to where I started

Options
5'2" Female, heavy lifting for a year and a half. Bulking for 10 weeks.
I started my bulk journey at around 117.5 and 19% BF. My plan was to get up to 123 lbs and around 22% BF so I could cut later to a solid 115. My bulk began pretty good- the scale steadily went up about .5 lbs a week. I accounted for changes around my period because I knew that would happen what with water weight and such, but after 9 weeks I was up to 121.5. Pretty good!

This morning I step on the scale and I'm back to 118.2. Um....? What's going on? Was all that weight gain just water before? My lifts are KINDA going up...I thought I was eating enough. My TDEE is probably around 1600 and I'm eating 2000 on work out days and 1500 on rest days.

Advice? What happened?? Thanks!

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    How have you calculated your TDEE? It seems a little low for your stats and activity.
  • widmer3
    widmer3 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Lots of online cals, including 1percent Leangains calc. I'm not positive of my BF%, so that could be throwing things off.
  • cllcor5
    cllcor5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Your eating way under. You should be eating way more sounfs like you are burning it off. You should look up one of those bulking calculators. You have to eat 500 calories at least above your maintenance calorie limits.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    If you're gaining, on average, at the appropriate rate, then you're probably eating enough. It seems pretty normal to have some wild weight swings...one week I dropped every day until I was down 3-4 lbs. WTH? I increased my intake a tad (like 50 calories) and waited it out...pretty quickly it went back to where it had been then jumped UP a couple pounds another week, then stabilized to a more steady pace again. Other people have experienced this same sort of thing. It might be worth waiting it out a week or two to see how it goes, of increase your intake just a bit and monitor. Long term trends are what is most important (i.e. over the course of months), not weekly changes.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    If you're gaining, on average, at the appropriate rate, then you're probably eating enough. It seems pretty normal to have some wild weight swings...one week I dropped every day until I was down 3-4 lbs. WTH? I increased my intake a tad (like 50 calories) and waited it out...pretty quickly it went back to where it had been then jumped UP a couple pounds another week, then stabilized to a more steady pace again. Other people have experienced this same sort of thing. It might be worth waiting it out a week or two to see how it goes, of increase your intake just a bit and monitor. Long term trends are what is most important (i.e. over the course of months), not weekly changes.

listen to her.
    Also do you know the group women who bulk? Might be worth checking it out, cause we always talk about things like that (next to waaaaa I'm so fat, of course)

But why are you eating 1500 on rest days when your tdee (which should include the workout for the whole week) is 1600 and you want to bulk?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your burning a lot, I would maybe try to eat more daily and see what happens
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Before you jump to any conclusions, check the scale/floor for consistency. I'm serious. Move it around and see what happens.