Just tell me it's possible (2+ hours on a treadmill :)

Options
We're having a crazy snowstorm and I need to run 13 miles tomorrow as part of my training.

Has anyone done it on a treadmill- & in the gym?

I need some success stories to refer back to mentally when I'm doing this tomorrow. It's going to be BORING, probably STUFFY, and people are going to look at me WEIRDLY! :)

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Wow....can't help you since I can't endure more than 30 minutes on the dreadmill. Bumping just in case.

Good luck
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I did 1hr 10mins and listened to an audiobook throughout. Good luck :)
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I did the entire 1st half of the super bowl at 3.8 mph at an 8 degree incline....a little over 2 hours. I took 5 minute breaks about every 30 to 45 minutes though.
  • JerseyGirlinTN
    JerseyGirlinTN Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I do it, and I'll be doing it today for 11 miles. It's not easy, but it can be done. I actually bring my tablet and read a book while I'm running (I'm not a super speedy runner, lol).
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I've done over 100 minutes on a treadmill. Totally possible. Works best if you can be motivated by the little flashy dot moving around the little oval track on the display. I intend to train for my own half marathon this year, and mostly on the treadmill. My outdoor running route is pretty flat, and the treadmill can at least simulate a hilly course. The uphills, anyway - downhills in real life will probably kill me.
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    I had 2 friends who trained for the Ironman, and they would spend 6+ hours on various machines--sometimes in a sauna to mimic Hawaii weather. And they did it often!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Dunno....but my cousin who is an ultra guy did 20+ miles on a treadmill before. Personally I would rather allow my cat to claw my eye balls out than run that long on a treadmill...but that is just me.

I am guessing a very, very good music list, or maybe a pod cast to help keep your mind occupied. Try and get one of the treadmills with those personal televisions if you can.
  • Dragonflag07
    Dragonflag07 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i did it once in the past at a hotel gym whilst travelling with work and having no idea where to run. Was boring but hey ho, ask yourself how bad do you want it
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think I'd be downloading an audio book to listen to.

I've done an hour on the treadmill but it was mind-numbing.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Good luck to yo!

I get bored.
    And even outside, my max is like 6-7 miles til im bored and want to stop running (figured this out after my half haha)
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I think people will come and go and not even know how long you been running.

I was on a stair machine at my gym (the one with rolling stairs) and this gal next to me was on for 110 mins, on the highest speed 25, she was up to 17,000 stairs and I think that’s like 850 floors climbed. She went another 20 min. after I left. I just couldn’t comprehend that kind of cardio level. lol
  • momof2boyz832
    momof2boyz832 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Have done it but with lots of help from music.I have the 8track app on my phone and just keep moving. It is long and boring but I want it more than I want to get off.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I do an hour forty five minutes on my elliptical once a week. The key for me is to have something interesting on tv in front of me. Usually it's a football game or some other sport to distract me from the monotony.
  • LouSmorals
    LouSmorals Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Not on a dreadmill, but have spent that long on a bike trainer in my garage (just as boring I assure you). I did it by watching a movie on a laptop. With a treadmill you could use an iPad. An audiobook is also a possibility, you primary challenge will be boredom.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I did 17 miles last night. Just a few minutes longer than 2 hours. Yes, its possible.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Have you got a tablet or similar?

I tend to be more motivated to stay on if there's something interesting to watch - so stick a film on that's about the right time or similar.

At the gym in the past I've stayed longer than intended on cardio equipment when someone bike/car racing came on the Sports channel of the big TVs they had and I wanted to watch the race to the end and so on.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I personally get bored also on the cardio machines so instead of staying on more than an hour to burn a certain number of calories or to increase my endurance level. I’d rather pick up the pace and the resistance to burn the same calories in 45 min. It’s like the cycling classes they're not designed for 90 min. for a reason, they're designed to kick your butt in 60 min. or less. lol
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's possible. Just stream a movie or whatever you like to watch and it will fly by...
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I have done that. Put your treadmill in front of the TV and turn on a good movie!! Try to zone out to the movie while your legs keep moving. Makes the time go by faster inside.

I also much prefer running outside though.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's definitely doable. You can use the usual distractions--TV,music etc-- but mostly I think you just have to set you frame of mind to just relax and focus on the "zen" of the running.

If you are at a club, hopefully there won't be an issue. Many paces either purposefully limit max duration on the TM or else leave it at the factory default--which can be 30-60 minutes. Some newer TM models have a "marathon mode" that allows for unlimited time,but you'd have to get someone on the staff to go into the configuration mode to change it for you.