Loosing weight too fast I think, more calories?

Would it make sense for a person that weighs about 260 lbs to eat 3000 cal/day to lose 1lb a week if they work out 5 days a week for 1-2h a day?

I'm losing 4lbs a week with 1600-1900 a day. I kinda feel loopy sometimes and I'm thinking it's lack of energy (not motivational energy, but food energy).

3 x 3500 = 10500 I would need this added to my weekly diet to only lose 1 lb, right?

1800 (average) * 7 = 12600 weekly calories that cause a weight loss of 4lbs

If I add 10500 to the 12600 would I, in theory, lose 1lb?

For a weekly total of 23100, and daily total of 3300 cal.

This seems far too high, Maybe I'm losing water weight, from a high sodium day still? I'm not sure how that works.

Thanks for any input.

Replies

• YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Your body gives you a good indication of whether or not you get enough food energy in a day.

Have you tried just going for whatever net calories myfitnesspal gives you at 2 pounds a week, or 1 pound a week?

We don't know all of your information so we can't give you an accurate assessment (age, height) of what you need to be eating. However, myfitnesspal and other external websites can.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    If you just started, some of it is definitely water. Wait a few weeks and reasses. But if you are feeling shakey and tired, you probably aren't getting enough cals.

But work out your TDEE (google TDEE calculator) and go from there. It will tell you how much you need to maintain at your age, weight, height and activity level.

I'm 5'1'', 133lbs, 44yr, female, slightly active to active --> TDEE around 1900cals. You are definitely taller and double the weight, so 3000 may not be off by that much. You seem to know your math, so you'll figure it out :wink:
  • DonaldChadDavis
    DonaldChadDavis Posts: 89 Member
    I'm 5' 10" 260 lbs 33 years old. When I did the mfp suggested amount it is 2170.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    So if your mfp activity setting is correct you need to eat 2170 calories a day PLUS any exercise calories you burn. Your activity setting is how much you move every day without exercising and may need to move up a setting if you're losing too much. Or maybe you're burning more exercise calories than you think and may want to invest in a Heart Rate Monitor to ensure you're getting it right.
  • DonaldChadDavis
    Yeah, I've been skipping the whole exercise calories. That's probably it, because the lifting regiment I'm on now is a bit more intense than I'm used to doing. I used the 1.55 multiplier to my BMR based on my stats using Harris Benedict and It came out with 3666 so maybe I should be eating 3k calories a day. It's just a hard thing for me to believe. Only one way to find out, though. =)
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    I'm 5' 10" 260 lbs 33 years old. When I did the mfp suggested amount it is 2170.

I started very close to your stats and lost a solid 1 1/2 pounds a week @ 2250 so that is a reasonable goal for you I think. I also ate (and still do) at least half of my exercise calories back, usually all.

Remember, your MFP number is your GOAL, not your "limit". You should try and net close to your goal.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    You are eating 1600-1900 a day? as a man the min is 1800....and you are above average for size....and you feel loopy, and MFP suggested almost 2200 and you don't eat your exercise calories back...

So logic says...*drum roll* ....eat more food. 4lbs a week is too fast.

Start with eat at least 50% of your exercise calories back per the MFP method...don't up too fast you might not like the results...

FYI I eat 1600 a day and I am 100lbs lighter than you and a woman just to give you some perspective.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Would it make sense for a person that weighs about 260 lbs to eat 3000 cal/day to lose 1lb a week if they work out 5 days a week for 1-2h a day?

I'm losing 4lbs a week with 1600-1900 a day. I kinda feel loopy sometimes and I'm thinking it's lack of energy (not motivational energy, but food energy).

3 x 3500 = 10500 I would need this added to my weekly diet to only lose 1 lb, right?

This seems far too high, Maybe I'm losing water weight, from a high sodium day still? I'm not sure how that works.

Thanks for any input.

Your body is telling you that it needs more food. I don't know that I would make that big of a jump all at once, though. Try adding 500 calories a day at first and see how you feel. If you still feel hungry, then add some more calories.

I would also recommend going mostly for nutritious foods. For weight loss, you can eat anything you want and still lose if you're at a deficit, but for health, and especially since you mention feeling loopy, you really want to make sure you have a good balance of fats, proteins, vitamins, etc. (Not saying you aren't, just reminding you that an extra 500 calories can add up quickly and to use some of that for food that will benefit you in more than just calories :wink:)
  • DonaldChadDavis
    You are eating 1600-1900 a day? as a man the min is 1800....and you are above average for size....and you feel loopy, and MFP suggested almost 2200 and you don't eat your exercise calories back...

So logic says...*drum roll* ....eat more food. 4lbs a week is too fast.

Start with eat at least 50% of your exercise calories back per the MFP method...don't up too fast you might not like the results...

FYI I eat 1600 a day and I am 100lbs lighter than you and a woman just to give you some perspective.

I love your condescension. Also, when I first started here the mfp told me to eat 1670cal/day.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    If you're dizzzy, have a snack. Eat back part of your exercise calories.

but if you're not starving yourself and you're exercising.. Then just go with it!! AWESOME FOR YOU!
  • DonaldChadDavis

Thanks for any input.

Your body is telling you that it needs more food. I don't know that I would make that big of a jump all at once, though. Try adding 500 calories a day at first and see how you feel. If you still feel hungry, then add some more calories.

I would also recommend going mostly for nutritious foods. For weight loss, you can eat anything you want and still lose if you're at a deficit, but for health, and especially since you mention feeling loopy, you really want to make sure you have a good balance of fats, proteins, vitamins, etc. (Not saying you aren't, just reminding you that an extra 500 calories can add up quickly and to use some of that for food that will benefit you in more than just calories :wink:)

Yeah I probably need a more diverse diet. I'm trying to do it within my means. Mostly chicken breast or ground turkey with whole grain rice, pasta, bread, some peanut butter, almond milk, greek yogurt, strawberries, bananas and tuna, and I take a multi vitamin. I need more greens I usually eat 3oz of spinach a day, but been letting that slip.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Yeah, I've been skipping the whole exercise calories. That's probably it, because the lifting regiment I'm on now is a bit more intense than I'm used to doing. I used the 1.55 multiplier to my BMR based on my stats using Harris Benedict and It came out with 3666 so maybe I should be eating 3k calories a day. It's just a hard thing for me to believe. Only one way to find out, though. =)

Well I'm an average height, breastfeeding mum, running around after five kids and regularly eat over 3000 calories a day and I'm losing a pound, sometimes two a week. So as a man who is working everyday and lifting weights it's probably about right.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    How long have you been losing 4 lbs/week? If it's been two weeks, there is probably still initial water loss going on, or if it's been 4 weeks at 16 lbs. total loss but 8 were the first week, or something like that.

Feeling loopy is probably more a function of low blood sugar than anything. I agree with 'eat a snack'. You have choices besides 1600 and 3000. If 1600-1900 doesn't feel right, try 2100-2400?
  • Keep in mind, that if you are losing too quickly on a consistent basis, you may risk altering your metabolism and possibly losing muscle mass even if you do work out. No need to go from 1600 to 3000 overnight. Start at 1900 and see how it changes your weight gain and how you feel. Just don't panic if you have a week where you don't lose. Look for a balance of healthy weight loss and feeling good. If 3000 seems hard to wrap your head around, work your way up.