5K in 20 Degree weather

Options
Hi,

How do you dress for this? I am still plus size have a lot to loose, and I don't think I have time to find Plus Size athletic pants that are built for the cold.

Advice please.

Replies

• Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I always wear a t shirt under a long sleeve running shirt and a jacket. I also wear under armour compression pants (the ones for the cold).I also wear gloves and a hat. Depending on the wind I might wear one of those light ski mask things. Once I start running I warm up a lot so the cold doesn't bother me so much and with the layers I can remove something if I really want to. Get inside quickly after though because you will get cold again fast. Good luck on your run!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Always dress for +10 degrees warmer than it is. What I would wear, if it were me running the 5K, is:

-2 tops: One long sleeve wickering base layer. Then a long sleeve outer layer on top (I have a running sweater that I wear that has the thumb holes). OR, if it was in the higher 20s I would wear a vest over the base layer.
    -1 bottom: My CW-X thermal tights or my other wintery base layer tights I got from Marshall's (depends on what was clean a the time lol)
    -Gloves
    -My wickering ball cap
    -My ear covers
    -Light mittens
    -Sunglasses (especially if it is windy, will keep wind chill out of your eyes)
    -Balega socks...because those are all I wear when I do a race lol..one of my comfort blanket things lol
    -Obvisously shoes lol

I like to stay on the cooler side and not get too heated, so I will start shedding things when I need to, starting with the glooves. And the zipper of your outer layer you can work as a temperature control, opening and closing when you need to.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I use this all the time: http://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Go to Goodwill and get some crappy sweats to wear over your gear. When you get over heated just peel and dump at hydration stations. I have even gotten a pillow and sleeping bag at Goodwill to sleep in at the Country Music Marathon and then just put in trash barrel. You have to get dropped off by the bus so freakin early and sure you can bag and tag your gear and pick it up at the end cause they deliver it to the finish but that is just too much effort to fight my way thru 30,000 participants when I just want to limp to the bus and go home!!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I had a 5k Jan 1st, 24F, 12F with windchill. I wore a sports tank, my lightweight windproof waterproof running jacket, lightweight running tights, wool socks, cotton stretch gloves, and a hat. I was so incredibly hot once I started, but freezing while waiting the 5 minutes at the start for the gun.
  • TheDarkestStar87
    TheDarkestStar87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Layers, layers and more layers. But don't forget that you'll get pretty warm once you get going so don't overdo it. A good tight baselayer under your usual gear (you can get them quite cheaply, mine cost about 15 quid) can be enough depending on the conditions, otherwise a thermal overlayer should do the trick. (with me having no clue how 20 degrees translates to celcius I don't know how cold we're talking...). I prefer headbands to hats in the cold, but see what works for you. And Don't forget a good pair of gloves, preferably in a sweat bickering material.

Take a step outside in your gear before you start off. Feeling a bit chilly (colder than you would in everyday clothes) but either freezing cold nor copy and warm? That's the right temperature. You'll feel warm soon enough.
  • TheDarkestStar87
    TheDarkestStar87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I had a 5k Jan 1st, 24F, 12F with windchill. I wore a sports tank, my lightweight windproof waterproof running jacket, lightweight running tights, wool socks, cotton stretch gloves, and a hat. I was so incredibly hot once I started, but freezing while waiting the 5 minutes at the start for the gun.

A lot of people wear old jumpers or even binbags just before the start of a race to keep warm while waiting around. Stuff that can be discarded easily and that you won't miss.
  • velocityc6
    velocityc6 Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    This is great advice. I am running my first 5K Saturday , expect it to be around 36 at race time. I hear people talking about shedding layers, how do you tag those and do the volunteers generally bring them to the finish line
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    This is great advice. I am running my first 5K Saturday , expect it to be around 36 at race time. I hear people talking about shedding layers, how do you tag those and do the volunteers generally bring them to the finish line

Plan ahead to shed layers. If you plan on taking it off in the starting area, go to a thrift store and buy something you don't mind never seeing again. A lightweight running jacket can get tied around your waist as you run so you don't lose it.