female weight lifting question

Options
So I know to lose fat you need to to both cardio and strength. I am doing Jillian 30 Day Shred and Focus T25 and both of those include strength but I've also heard people say that isn't sufficient enough. Should I be lifting free weights separately also?

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    T25 and Jillian aren't strength training, both are basically cardio.

If you want to get into weight lifting, do you have access to a gym? Very basic lifting programs don't require much for equipment, but you do need access to a bench, a barbell, plates, and a squat rack or power cage. Stronglifts 5x5 is my personal recommendation for someone starting out, and I also recommend the book Starting Strength (Kindle edition is only $10) as that book will teach you everything you need to know to get started.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    In with the...you only need a deficit to lose weight...

Stronglifts is a good starting point for lifting, just make sure you get form down.
    I also see New Rules of Lifting for Women suggested around these parts.
  • apeck422
    Options

If you want to get into weight lifting, do you have access to a gym? Very basic lifting programs don't require much for equipment, but you do need access to a bench, a barbell, plates, and a squat rack or power cage. Stronglifts 5x5 is my personal recommendation for someone starting out, and I also recommend the book Starting Strength (Kindle edition is only $10) as that book will teach you everything you need to know to get started.

Thanks! I don't really "want" to get into weightlifting. I have weights at home and I can use a bench or something at home. I don't have that other stuff though. You don't think doing various lifting exercises without machines is good enough? :/
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Thanks! I don't really "want" to get into weightlifting. I have weights at home and I can use a bench or something at home. I don't have that other stuff though. You don't think doing various lifting exercises without machines is good enough? :/

why don't you want to get into weightlifting? It is a great way to shred body fat, look great, and improve overall physical performance…

I would also recommend all of Tiger's advice + new rules of lifting for woman
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Personally, I use the barbell etc. but I've heard good things about 'be your own gym' and 'convict conditioning' Which are body weight programmes.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP wants to know about weightlifting, but then says does not want to get into it ….sayyyyy whhhhaaaattt???
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

why don't you want to get into weightlifting? It is a great way to shred body fat, look great, and improve overall physical performance…

I would also recommend all of Tiger's advice + new rules of lifting for woman

All of the above. My personal favorite is Stronglifts, but that's completely personal preference.

If you really don't want to lift weights then look into a bodyweight program. Cardio is for cardiovascular health and additional calories to eat. It isn't strictly necessary to do cardio to lose weight. It also isn't strictly necessary to do strength training to lose weight, but it will help you maintain lean body mass as you lose so you look good when you're finished.
  • apeck422
    Options
    I don't mean I'm not willing to put in the work because I am. I'm just saying I'd rather get it done at home just like I get my other workouts done at home. My parents belong to a gym so hypothetically I could join but I was asking if lifting on my own might work too.
  • JonMB
    JonMB Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Here's a helpful article about getting into weight training as a woman: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

You don't need much. A bench and a good set of dumbbells is all you need to get started and make a lot of progress at home. You don't need machines, especially not at first.
  • JonMB
    JonMB Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Or train like Rocky Balboa... attach a tire to your body and go run through the snow. :)
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Or train like Rocky Balboa... attach a tire to your body and go run through the snow. :)

If you alternate flipping it and dragging it, that is actually a pretty damn good idea
  • ImpishVanity
    ImpishVanity Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to go to a gym but still want to get into strength exercises there are a ton of things you can do with just your body or with minimal equipment. There is no real need to use all the heavy equipment or go to a gym if that's not your thing :)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I don't mean I'm not willing to put in the work because I am. I'm just saying I'd rather get it done at home just like I get my other workouts done at home. My parents belong to a gym so hypothetically I could join but I was asking if lifting on my own might work too.

you will have better results with a barbell training program that focus's around compound lifts, and progressively lifting more and increasing weight (my opinion) I would think it will be easier to accomplish this in a gym then a home gyms…unless you have a barbell, power rack, etc at home?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

I was going to do this but couldn't find logs or a chicken :D
  • apeck422
    Options
    Here's a helpful article about getting into weight training as a woman: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

You don't need much. A bench and a good set of dumbbells is all you need to get started and make a lot of progress at home. You don't need machines, especially not at first.

I just read all of that and got super pumped and looked into it but it does cost money and I'm kinda sick of investing in stuff if I'm being completely honest. If I have that stuff at home, which I do, now all I need is to know what exactly to do with it haha. I know various exercises, aka, squats, deadlifts, bicep curls, etc. Should I just make a routine with that stuff?
  • ndj1979
    Options

I just read all of that and got super pumped and looked into it but it does cost money and I'm kinda sick of investing in stuff if I'm being completely honest. If I have that stuff at home, which I do, now all I need is to know what exactly to do with it haha. I know various exercises, aka, squats, deadlifts, bicep curls, etc. Should I just make a routine with that stuff?

do you have a barbell and power rack at home?

you could just join a gym for like 20..00 a month ..or if your parents are members at one maybe they can convert to family plan and it would be cheaper than 20/month?
  • apeck422
    Options
    No I don't have that. Also to be honest I'm pretty self conscious and anxious about everything, which is partly why I like working out at home. I mean I'll do what I have to do but I'm just so sick of changing and switching routines up and stuff.

And like now I'm considering joining that Nerd Fitness thing which costs money too and I'm just so upset. Ugh sorry if I'm being annoying by complaining
  • ndj1979
    Options
    No I don't have that. Also to be honest I'm pretty self conscious and anxious about everything, which is partly why I like working out at home. I mean I'll do what I have to do but I'm just so sick of changing and switching routines up and stuff.

And like now I'm considering joining that Nerd Fitness thing which costs money too and I'm just so upset. Ugh sorry if I'm being annoying by complaining

I just think that with the proper form, equipment, and training that you can get to the goals that you have set for yourself….I was a work out from home person for a number of years, then two years ago I joined a gym and it was the best thing I ever did..I wish I would of done it sooner…just my two cents...
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

you will have better results with a barbell training program that focus's around compound lifts, and progressively lifting more and increasing weight (my opinion) I would think it will be easier to accomplish this in a gym then a home gyms…unless you have a barbell, power rack, etc at home?

I'll just chime in with my own experience on this...I started weight training as a complete newb, working out only at home, with dumbbells ranging from 3 to 45 lbs. If you've got a good range of weights that go pretty heavy, you can see some pretty good progress while working out at home (OP, check my before/afters in my profile pics), at least at first (I've now moved on to a gym and a bar). You can do DB-appropriate modifications of most of the big bar lifts. It's not necessarily a bad way to start off :)

Also, in the great scheme of things, it's more important to dial in your intake if fat loss is your goal. Lifting will help retain muscle as you drop fat.
  • apeck422
    Options
    Well since I'm a girl I probably won't be lifting as much but right now I have 3, 5, and 10 pound dumbbells. I can buy heavier ones but then the question is what do I do with them? Like just curls, rows, etc in routine/circuit form but keeping it heavy unlike Jillian's program so my fat turns to muscle?