3 weeks, and not a single pound lost :(

Options
Wondering if anyone can advise please?
Been back using MFP for 3 weeks now, sticking (mostly) to my set calorie limit (and still less than the RDA on missed days). I've also been getting back to the gym and swimming, and for the last 5 days have been doing 30-day shred too.
I know I'm probably not drinking enough water, I never have but I'm trying, and due to shift working I have to rely on microwave meals/soups for my meals - I try to pick ones that are low in calories, but I know they are far from ideal.
Anyway, I feel like I'm trying so so hard, and today I am absolutely starving, yet I'm getting nowhere at all. Last time I ate and exercised like this I lost a stone, which was less than a year ago, so why not now?
My diary is open if anyone is able/willing to help or offer any good tips around everything outlined above.

Replies

• kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Are you counting and weighing everything? Are you aware of you BMR ( basic metabolic rate)? I've noticed with many people who are having trouble losing weight on this site are simply eating to many calories to lose weight based on their BMR.

Losing weight is mathematics. Create a deficit and you will lose weight.

As for this working in the past, when you lose weight the amount of calories your body needs to support itself goes down. If I weighed 200 pounds I would need more calories to support myself. At 150 pounds I would need less. Since you lost weight you may need to lower your calorie intake in order to create a deficit.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I'll be watching this thread. Tomorrow is 3 weeks for me and I also have not lost anything yet. Working out daily, consistently under my calorie goals .Very frustrating! I was going to post the same thread! I'm significantly over weight and was eating a ton of calories before and not exercising at all, so I thought it would (initially at least) come off quickly!
  • NatalieLJ
    NatalieLJ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Are you counting and weighing everything? Are you aware of you BMR ( basic metabolic rate)? I've noticed with many people who are having trouble losing weight on this site are simply eating to many calories to lose weight based on their BMR.

Losing weight is mathematics. Create a deficit and you will lose weight.

As for this working in the past, when you lose weight the amount of calories your body needs to support itself goes down. If I weighed 200 pounds I would need more calories to support myself. At 150 pounds I would need less. Since you lost weight you may need to lower your calorie intake in order to create a deficit.

Sorry, I should have clarified, I lost weight, then it all crept back on again, mostly during the festive period.
    I did check the calories I should be eating according to my age, current weight, gender and activity level, I used a link posted on here too to check the maths, and I seemed to be on the right track.
    I don't measure foods, but a lot of what I eat is pre-made so I can simply scan the barcode. Other than that I make sure I add in all the ingredients and measurements as accurate as I can.
  • NatalieLJ
    Options
    I'll be watching this thread. Tomorrow is 3 weeks for me and I also have not lost anything yet. Working out daily, consistently under my calorie goals .Very frustrating! I was going to post the same thread! I'm significantly over weight and was eating a ton of calories before and not exercising at all, so I thought it would (initially at least) come off quickly!

Rubbish isn't it?! I don't have a lot to lose, just over a stone, but it bothers me, I can feel that I'm heavier and my clothes are tight, and well, it's not nice is it? I too thought a bit of hard work and it would start to come back off, but it's not proving that easy this time!
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    If you're tracking accurately (weighing and measuring your food), I wouldn't lower your calories. They're pretty low as it is. I would recommend getting more protein; it'll help keep you feeling full. Typically, you should aim for 1 gram of protein per pound of goal weight. I try to get at least 125 a day, and on the days I don't get enough, I feel really hungry.
  • NatalieLJ
    Options
    If you're tracking accurately (weighing and measuring your food), I wouldn't lower your calories. They're pretty low as it is. I would recommend getting more protein; it'll help keep you feeling full. Typically, you should aim for 1 gram of protein per pound of goal weight. I try to get at least 125 a day, and on the days I don't get enough, I feel really hungry.

Yeah, I do struggle with not eating too many carbs, and eating too little protein most days. Hopefully more protein and more water will help keep the hunger pangs at bay, so will bear that in mind this week, thanks :)
  • accebersmith
    accebersmith Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    When I looked at your diary, I couldn't see where you're tracking water intake. If you're already drinking it, then ignore this, but otherwise, you've got to make sure you drink the recommended amount of water every day. Your calories are already low, and the description in your post sounds like you could possibly be retaining water, in addition to whatever pounds you may have regained over the holidays.

Feel free to add me, if you like. I know how frustrating it can get sometimes.
  • Samone5
    Samone5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You said you have been eating lots of microwave meals and soups, in addition to not drinking enough water. You are probably retaining water like crazy! Usually microwave meals and soups have lots of salt in them. Just my guess!
  • NatalieLJ
    Options
    When I looked at your diary, I couldn't see where you're tracking water intake. If you're already drinking it, then ignore this, but otherwise, you've got to make sure you drink the recommended amount of water every day. Your calories are already low, and the description in your post sounds like you could possibly be retaining water, in addition to whatever pounds you may have regained over the holidays.

Feel free to add me, if you like. I know how frustrating it can get sometimes.

Thank you. I'm just beginning to realise how important water intake is. I haven't been recording that in MFP but I think I will from now, to make sure I'm hitting the target.
  • NatalieLJ
    Options
    You said you have been eating lots of microwave meals and soups, in addition to not drinking enough water. You are probably retaining water like crazy! Usually microwave meals and soups have lots of salt in them. Just my guess!

You're most likely right. I'm going to try and prepare some fish and vegetables for my next round of late shifts, so I can cut out all the added salt included in pre-prepared meals, but with the hours I work and having kids too it sure isn't easy to find the time always.
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I was having a pretty similar problem - two years ago I lost 30 pounds by sticking to MFP and exercising regularly, then I gained back all the weight, and when I finally got back on track, I started gaining weight at first and it was driving me crazy! I upped my calorie limit and am eating based on my TDEE (with a 500 calorie deficit to lose 1 lb/week) and I started running/walking about 3-4 miles per day. At first this made me gain weight, but finally I dropped 3 pounds.

In another forum, someone pointed out that when you start a new exercise routine, your muscles retain water for a little bit, which can make it look like you're gaining weight.

So don't get discouraged! If you've been being more vigorous with exercise, that could be the problem. Just stick to your current routine and be consistent with it, and maybe consider weighing yourself once every 2 weeks. Those have helped me!

Good luck.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters about water, sodium, and protein. Your calories are a bit on the low side, you might even be able to eat a little more, especially doing 30DS and swimming. Increase water and protein, decrease sodium. Keep up the good work:)
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Be careful with the soups. That is what I picked up on when reading your thread. Even though they may be low in calories, they are probably LOADED with sodium, which will make you retain water, thus making you not lose weight. Also, remember, low calories isn't always the way to go. You should be hitting (or at least close to) your caloric goal everyday. If you aren't, you are just going to starve your body of what it really needs, and therefore you won't lose weight either.

Log everything! And also, don't always count on the labels on the food. I tend to measure stuff out anyways... they aren't 100% accurate, and that can add up over a day's worth of eating if it isn't correct. You may think you are right on, but you might not be.

Hope this helps!

Oh, and make sure to drink your water!!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I know it's frustrating, but if your sure that your weighing and measuring everything Correctly, it will eventually come off. It took a while for me, it seemed like forever but it will eventually happen. I was working out daily, eating the proper calories and the scale wouldn't budge! But I didn't give up, and eventually the weight started to come off. I have no idea why, but it just took some extra time. So it will happen for you, just don't give up. And again, weigh and measure everything you put in your mouth, and take measurements of your body. As the scale may not be moving, but maybe your losing some inches somewhere.
  • will2lose72
    will2lose72 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have found that having more balance between the macro nutrients within each meal is helping me to feel fuller. In fact this morning I couldn't even really finish my breakfast. For instance the days you had just a banana for breakfast...that isn't filling you up and carrying you into lunch. Can you add some peanut butter, egg whites, or even greek yogurt? Make a smoothie with your banana and greek yogurt, a little milk or fruit juice. I'm no expert, just letting you know what seems to be working for me! Don't give up is the most important part!
  • stephfranke
    stephfranke Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I know when I started on mfp, it took almost five weeks before it showed anything... sometimes our bodies need to adjust to the new habits. Aim to eat healthy to feed your body, and the rest will follow.
    Keep up the fight.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    You are probably eating more than you think.
    Or retaining water
    You know that pre made can still be inaccurate? Get a food scale and commit for just one week of weighing everything. You might be surprised.
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I was having a similar problem and then restarted and refreshed on 1/1/14. I set my ticker back to zero and since then I've lost 8 lbs. I started measuring everything, I was shocked. I increased my water and I upped my exercise time to increase my calories burned. That seems to have done it.

BUT it did take a while for things to finally click and get moving again. I was getting frustrated just like you and when I changed things up a little, that's when I started seeing results.

Hang in there, you'll adjust. It seems like your salt intake might be a little high and causing you to retain. Increase your water and start tracking, that might set things in motion for you.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    I'm in the eat more to lose camp. I know its scary, I was petrified when I first started bumping up my calories (first from 1200-1450, then 1600, now I eat 1700-2200 cals a day!)
    What made me switch was I had no idea how to maintain my weight, I could lose and then i'd go back to "normal" and gain it all back. I got sick of yo-yoing and sick of being miserably hungry and decided losing slow is better than the yoyo cycle.
    go to this site and fill in your info, play around a little to see what will be manageable: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Also I work in an office and unless I want to eat out daily (which my budget and butt can't sustain) I'm stuck with microwave & snack foods too. I pre-make lots of meals, typically family size meals and then split them into individual servings and freeze them like my own homemade lean cuisines. I have total control of the ingredients and know what I'm getting, and because at any given time I have 3-4 types of things in my freezer I get variety :)

The other thing that has made a difference (especially if you're working out) is getting a lot of protein. Like the above poster said upping it will make a difference in how you feel and how your body looks. I try for 120-150 on non workout days and up to 200 when I have heavy workouts.
  • Brittanyc1990
    Brittanyc1990 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i had the same thing happen to me iwas 187 and as i exercised i lost a bit but after a while your body gets use to it and slows down so for exercise i recommend mixing it up. personally i like to at times go for 2 walks a day 1 might be 45 minuted and another could be an hr in a half, insanity is a good one also youtube had an amazing 30 challenge called bodyrock they do it every month each challenge is no more then 12 minutes i believe. for food i make a big thing of chicken salad at home that can last me 2 or 3 days mix that up as well
    example: the salad 1 day can have tomatoes,a teaspoon of ranch hot sauce, another day the salad can have tons more vegetables. personally my favorite meal is 2slices of turkey bacon,tomato, 1/3 cup of low fat cottage cheese with crushed red peppers, and maybe a side of sated mushrooms
    this is just a little of what i do,hope it helped. also never starve your self. i can stuff yourself with healthy things that might be 400 calories