Mexican Rice or Beans

Options
lisalsd1
lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
So if you go out to a Mexican Restaurant and you get a choice of rice or beans, which is "better" for you?

The beans have to be the better choice, right? Beans are probably higher in calories and fat, BUT higher in protein, lower in carbs.

I just need to know which to order with my fajitas and entire basket of chips I plan to eat.

Replies

• wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I typically opt out of both and get extra veg as it lightens the caloric load while still being filling. You get plenty of protein in the meat and fiber in the veg, so don't need the beans and rice.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    So if you go out to a Mexican Restaurant and you get a choice of rice or beans, which is "better" for you?

The beans have to be the better choice, right? Beans are probably higher in calories and fat, BUT higher in protein, lower in carbs.

I just need to know which to order with my fajitas and entire basket of chips I plan to eat.

There is no "right" or "wrong" choice. You choose the one you are hungry for and/or the one that is best going to fit your macros and you log it.

I would choose rice if I were getting grilled meat/veggies. I would choose beans if I were ordering a vegetarian main.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I live an hour away from the Mexican border. Mexican restaurants are a way of life here. I've never heard of being offered rice *or* beans. It's always *and* around here. But often there is a choice of refried beans or black beans. In which case, I always go for the black beans.

If it truly is a choice of rice *or* beans, then yeah, like you said, the beans have the protein in their favor. But if it's refried beans, then there is an awful lot of fat in there too. I think I'd alternate each time I went out!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I would personally get another order of chips.( especially if they have great salsa) no way beans or rice come close to great salsa!
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Refried beans have lots of lard in them which is why they are delicious, ha!

I usually get the borracho beans instead. Mexican is a hard meal not to splurge - for me anyway. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

Here in Mexico the choice would be beans, because they are usually cooked beans in broth, called " frijoles de la olla " ( pot beans ). Rice is made by frying the rice in quite a lot of fat and even if it is drained from the rice a lot if it remains. Beans are usually cooked with water, onion, garlic and salt and therefore are the popular choice. Also beans are protein. Refried beans are not as common here as most people from outside Mexico think , are usually not made with lard and are eating in small ( usually a soup spoon ) portions.
    I have no idea how and if all this applies to Tex-Mex food. When it comes to fajitas; I would eat one or two more tortillas ( corn tortillas of normal size are 50-55 calories each, we don't do flour tortillas, except right by the border ) instead of rice or beans and feel satiated, while saving a minimum of 100-150 calories from the rice and/or beans alone.
  • ravengal
    Options
    Most of the time I order just the beans, and skip the entree. The rice doesn't fill me up as well as the beans.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    change the "or" to "and"
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Whichever you like best and fits your calories.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    change the "or" to "and"

+1
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    So here's the update: I order beans and only ate half. I split the other half with my kids. This was probably the best way to handle the situation. Well, I did eat the section of the beans that had the melted cheese on top...I was just thinking of my kids' health!