What ratio?

Options
Ok, just getting started and want to be on the right track. I'm 5'10" 190lbs 31 years old. Body type is pretty much slim with a belly. What my goal is to lose the belly and add muscle. I'm not looking to get huge by any means but with my frame I should be able to be cut. I want some strength! I have minimal muscle mass right now. Only been at this a few days so still getting things figured out, so far been way way under eating. This is new as I have been on an unhealthy diet, evidently have a high metabolism as I should probably be bigger. So there are my goals, cut the belly while adding muscle mass. What ratios should I be shooting for? Just got my HRM today and will be doing my first strength workout today. The cardio workout is already listed on my diary. I am doing the Power 90 series of videos. I'm hearing lots of different ratios to shoot for but seems my biggest challenge is adding calories and keeping the carbs down.

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    40/40/20 start with and adjust as you get moving.
  • popo312
    popo312 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    OK, found another way to define what I want in another thread. Low body fat and defined muscles. Not big body builder muscle, just defined and a little cuttish.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    To add muscle stay in calorie surplus and ate around 1g of protein per pound of lean body weight. That's all you need really. It's completely pointless to track ratios. You can if you want to but that makes no difference. If you still wanna lose fat then keep protein high and go on deficit, you might still add some muscle if you are new to this while being in deficit.

You don't have to keep carbs down either. In fact if you go too low on carbs you might gain muscle slower, like maybe 85 or 90% of what you could have otherwise. Neither going low carbs will make you lose more fat, it's all about calories and your personal preference.

I've been on 50% fat 40% protein 10% carbs diet. I've been on 20% fat, 40/40 carbs/prot diets, etc. Doesn't matter. The most important is to keep protein high cos that is building block for muscle and keep calories high as well. Where you get cals apart from that is irrelevant and makes no difference.
  • popo312
    popo312 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've got to make a more concerted effort to eat more. I'm lagging throughout the day and trying to pack it all in at the end when I see how low I am for the day. Went shopping today and got some non low fat foods so hopefully that will help. I need to add some protein now but I'm stuffed, can't eat anything else today! May be able to chug down another shake before I go to bed.