How active am I considered?

Options
I recently started my diet, and I also started doing cardio. (running on the treadmill)

My plan is to run 5 days a week minimum, 30 min a day, 250 calories burned each run.

I just finished my second day. How active am I considered?

Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)

Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)

Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Activity level has nothing to do with exercise. It's just for your day-to-day stuff (work, commute, housework, etc.) Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. Pick an activity level, give it a couple of weeks, then reevaluate.

Log your exercise, and eat back your exercise calories. If you're not losing, eat back half your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants
  • MatrixGravity
    Options
    Activity level has nothing to do with exercise. It's just for your day-to-day stuff (work, commute, housework, etc.) Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. Pick an activity level, give it a couple of weeks, then reevaluate.

Log your exercise, and eat back your exercise calories. If you're not losing, eat back half your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants

But that doesn't really help me.. I need to be able to choose an activity level. If I spend most of the day sitting, but spend around 30-40 minutes exercising (5 days a week), how active does that make me?
  • havocgx011
    Options
    Well I consider myself moderately active and I do an hour of gym each day 6 days a week, not sure if that will help you though.

I think lightly active would be 20 minutes a day 3 days a week from what I've read on other sites.
  • Pamela_in_Progress
    Pamela_in_Progress Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I would say lightly active if you spend most of the day sitting.

Oops! That would be sedentary!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    If I spend most of the day sitting, but spend around 30-40 minutes exercising (5 days a week), how active does that make me?
    If you spend most of the day sitting, you are sedentary. Set your goal to .5 lb. per week (w/ only 15 lbs. to lose, anything higher is unhealthy). You'll be given a calorie goal w/ your deficit built in. This is referred to as your "net calories."

Log your exercise, and you'll be given more calories to eat. The calorie counts & burns are estimates. Some people reduce the margin of error by eating back half their exercise calories. It will take trial & error to find what works for you.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

But that doesn't really help me.. I need to be able to choose an activity level. If I spend most of the day sitting, but spend around 30-40 minutes exercising (5 days a week), how active does that make me?

Actually, this is right on for the MFP method. If you sit all day, set MFP to sedentary, and then eat back exercise calories as she suggested. Re-evaluate after a few weeks.

Activity level in MFP is not based on your exercising. It is based on normal, daily activity. Exercise is added in later. At least this worked well for me.
  • MatrixGravity
    Options
    If I spend most of the day sitting, but spend around 30-40 minutes exercising (5 days a week), how active does that make me?
    If you spend most of the day sitting, you are sedentary. Set your goal to .5 lb. per week (w/ only 15 lbs. to lose, anything higher is unhealthy). You'll be given a calorie goal w/ your deficit built in. This is referred to as your "net calories."

Log your exercise, and you'll be given more calories to eat. The calorie counts & burns are estimates. Some people reduce the margin of error by eating back half their exercise calories. It will take trial & error to find what works for you.

.05lb a week is way too slow. I think what I'll do is simply eat 1000 calories maximum a day, while exercising 30+ min cardio 5 days a week. Hopefully that will work. Then again, I'm new to dieting so I don't really understand it entirely, but yeah.
  • MatrixGravity
    Options

Nope. Didn't really bother. Too many terms that I don't understand, too overly-complicated, not an ideal read for a beginner like me.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options

.05lb a week is way too slow. I think what I'll do is simply eat 1000 calories maximum a day, while exercising 30+ min cardio 5 days a week. Hopefully that will work. Then again, I'm new to dieting so I don't really understand it entirely, but yeah.

1000 calories a day PLUS exercise isn't healthy. It's just not. Do you want to do this the healthy/safe way or not? It took me two years to lose 20 pounds because I did it the healthy way. Your choice, I guess...
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Nope. Didn't really bother. Too many terms that I don't understand, too overly-complicated, not an ideal read for a beginner like me.

Lolwut? :huh: It is FOR beginners. You could look up terms you don't know (but pretty sure everything is explained in the article itself) and actually have a grasp of what you're doing. No? No. Ok,.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

.5lb a week is way too slow. I think what I'll do is simply eat 1000 calories maximum a day, while exercising 30+ min cardio 5 days a week. Hopefully that will work. Then again, I'm new to dieting so I don't really understand it entirely, but yeah.
    So to summarise - you admit you don't know what you are doing but you are going to ignore good advice from people who do know what they are doing.
    Good luck - you are going to need it.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

It just takes a little time on your part. It is made for beginners. And 1000 calories a day is not smart, and clearly shows you need more information.
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    MFP is going to tell you that you aren't eating enough calories. 1200 is the bare minimum you should eat. I would suggest that on days you exercise, you should at least eat 1400-1600.

This calculator really helped me!

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Activity level has nothing to do with exercise. It's just for your day-to-day stuff (work, commute, housework, etc.).

Since you seem very confused -- this is what you need to know.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

Sounds like a troll response? You're a male so you need to eat a MINIMUM of 1800 calories, your exercise would see you AT LEAST as lightly active (very few people are truly sedentary) and 0.5lb a week seems very reasonable as your ticker suggests you only have 15lbs to lose.

Go to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and see what that gives you and don't be surprised if it says you need to eat a lot more than you thought. There are some very successful people on MFP who know what they are talking about, generally you can tell by the numbers shown on their tickers :flowerforyou:
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

So you just threw out a crazy idea and said "hopefully that will work" while admitting you don't really understand weight loss entirely WHILE ignoring people who have actually been successful with proven methods.

Are you trolling us? If not, do you realize how crazy that sounds?

By the way, that article is a 15 minute read that will explain everything in layman's terms. It is an excellent starting point and the fact that you would rather eat 1000 calories a day and do endless cardio instead of taking the time to try and understand that says a lot about you. Good luck, as another poster said you will need it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

.5lb a week is way too slow. I think what I'll do is simply eat 1000 calories maximum a day, while exercising 30+ min cardio 5 days a week. Hopefully that will work. Then again, I'm new to dieting so I don't really understand it entirely, but yeah.
    So to summarise - you admit you don't know what you are doing but you are going to ignore good advice from people who do know what they are doing.
    Good luck - you are going to need it.

This.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Lightly active.

But it doesn't matter - as a general rule, people who don't know what they are doing but insist on immediately tossing away solid advice are doomed to failure, anyway.

How much to do you weight, how much do you need to lose? That will give the numbers you need. 1500 might be too high, and it might be too low.
  • MatrixGravity
    Options
    Ok, based on the comments, I guess it sounds more reasonable for me to instead target losing 1lb a week instead of 2lb. That way I can consume more calories daily, if I understand that correctly? So if I continue to do cardio 5 days a week, and eat at least 1500 calories daily, will that be more reasonable and allow me to succesfully lose 1lb a week?