how to track calories burned????

Options
I work on a beef cattle farm, so as far as a work out its everything from cardio to weight lifting and everything in between. However, I'm not sure how to figure out how many calories I burn while I'm there. Does anyone have any good ideas on how I could keep track?

Replies

• stacibuk
    stacibuk Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor

Heart rate monitors are not made to use for daily activity. You may be interested in using a fitbit or bodymedia fit to track overall daily activity.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Your job is not exercise, and should not be logged as such. Your job determines your activity level.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    A bodymedia fit would work best for your daily burn.. It tracks everything you do throughout the day,even when you sleep.
  • annastasia_82
    annastasia_82 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I will have to look into both of those. Have either of you used the bodymedia fit before or the fitbit?

I realize that my job does not constitute as my work out, but knowing how many calories I use on a regular day without exercise will allow me to set a better calorie intake goal for the day so that my calories out exceeds those going in.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Flex & a Jawbone UP. You wear activity trackers all day & night, and they tell you your TDEE. (So you can set your MFP activity level accurately.) HRM's are only worn during cardio exercise.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    set your activity level to active
  • Dnarules
    Options
    Thank you, I will have to look into both of those. Have either of you used the bodymedia fit before or the fitbit?

I realize that my job does not constitute as my work out, but knowing how many calories I use on a regular day without exercise will allow me to set a better calorie intake goal for the day so that my calories out exceeds those going in.

I wear a bodymedia fit, but some of the other tracking devices work just as well. One of the problems with it is that it requires a monthly fee as well. But I still like it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    HRM won't accomplish anything for your situation but give you bad numbers.

The only way to really do what you want is to pick an eating level - i.e., X calories/day - and eat that way consistently for a few weeks. If your weight stays stable, that's your daily burn. If it goes up or down, adjust your intake by 100-200 calories/day and repeat.

As a starting point, you can use one of the many calculators out there, and set it for moderately active.
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia FIT Link band, and I LOVE it. I just upgraded from the Core band (big difference is that the Core data is not transmitted with bluetooth.) I like being able to to know in 'real time' with the phone app if I need to increase my calories.

Here is my referral link, which will save you 15% if you order from the website: http://bodymedia.extole.com/a/clk/2371nx
  • annastasia_82
    annastasia_82 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. With all the products out there its hard to know which ones to look into, but now I have some great choices.

Right now I have been eating between 1,000 - 1,400 calories a day. I allow myself to get closer to the 1,400 calories on the days that I work on the farm but most of that comes from protein because I need it. The days I work as a lab technician and a tax preparer I stay pretty close to the 1,000 mark. So far that seems to be working for me (I think, I've only been at it a week but my pants already fit better). Being able to compare the calories I'm using to what I'm eating would be good to help keep me on track.
  • Dnarules
    Options

I agree. I think you are going to find you are definitely not eating enough. This is a great link.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    You're not eating enough.

According to the OP's profile, she needs to lose 80 lbs. If that is the case, her intake is fine, assuming it works for her and she is hitting her macros/micros.
  • Dnarules
    Options

According to the OP's profile, she needs to lose 80 lbs. If that is the case, her intake is fine, assuming it works for her and she is hitting her macros/micros.

But it's unnecessary.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

But it's unnecessary.

So is losing any weight at all.

Everybody has to find their own path.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    HRM won't accomplish anything for your situation but give you bad numbers.

The only way to really do what you want is to pick an eating level - i.e., X calories/day - and eat that way consistently for a few weeks. If your weight stays stable, that's your daily burn. If it goes up or down, adjust your intake by 100-200 calories/day and repeat.

As a starting point, you can use one of the many calculators out there, and set it for moderately active.
    I agree, and I also agree she's eating enough. She doesn't have to lose at a snail's pace because it's popular here.
  • mcsweetly
    mcsweetly Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You could try to put in all of your daily activities on this tracker. I hear its a good one.

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

Good Luck!
  • Dnarules
    Options

But it's unnecessary.

So is losing any weight at all.

Everybody has to find their own path.

But so many start off that low because they don't know how to start. 1000 calories is unnecessary, and often leads to a plateau.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    1000 will get old quick. But everything often leads to a plateau.