Plantar Fasciitis, Knee Bursitis and Achilles Tendinitis

At some point, I've experienced what I call amongst my friends the 3 "Itis", Plantar Fasciitis, Knee Bursitis and Achilles Tendinitis! For me, each has been addressed but I'm posting to find others that may have dealt with any or all of these in hopes of learning how others have addressed these concerns!

Replies

• magurski
    magurski Posts: 45 Member
    Pes bursitis when I started C25K. It was mitigated by changing from a heel strike to a forefoot strike and strengthening my ankles & calves through running minimalist. I'm sure changing my route so the steepest grades were uphill helped, too, but I can reverse that now without problems.
  • katealbright
    katealbright Posts: 134 Member
    An ounce of prevention is a pound of cure! For me stretching stretch stretching all the time stretching. Before exercise, after exercise, randomly during the day, before bed, before you even stand up in the morning! That last one is actually really important because your muscles heel in a contracted position while you sleep.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    I have plantar fascitiis and a heel bone spur. I started having problems after I started running (at the ripe old age of 46). I had to take a break from running - I saw a podiatrist and got some great inserts for my running shoes. I've since started running again, but I don't run 2 days in a row any more. I also walk on an incline on the treadmill for warm-ups and cool downs when I'm running n the treadmill. I try to take it easy running downhill outdoors - so bad for my hips and I also have hamstring issues - same leg as the plantar fascitis. Good luck! It's a bummer when you are trying to do something good for yourself (like exercise) and then end up hurting yourself!
  • yogacat13
    yogacat13 Posts: 124 Member
    I had tendonitis in my arms and plantar fasciitis, for which I had tons of physical therapy. Dead Sea Salts/Epsom salts worked a treat. A good soak in a hot salty water every day or so really made a huge difference in recovery time. Very inexpensive and very effective, plus it was enjoyable (compared to physical therapy). That, plus ultrasound as part of the physical therapy and I haven't had a bit of pain in ages.
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    I got shinsplints from running. So I decided to walk 5 miles a day instead. Ended up with tendonitis. So I had to cut down my walking and had to join the gym as a 'last resort' to still try exercise without hurting myself and continue to attempt weight loss.
    Like previous person said before, you think you're doing ok by exercising, improving your health, then end up with shin splints. Try cool it down by walking, and end up with more injuries. Very very frustrating.
  • WOW, thank you all for the responses! I have now ideas to help me in the future! :):happy:
  • Plantar here too on and off, did some research myself instead of getting it checked last time and read about the importance of stretching your feet. It has helped so much. It's gone now but if I feel any twinges I make sure I stretch the hell out of my feet and shins before my feet hit the floor in the morning and then do it again during the day anytime I can. Huge help.