Hitting Carbs or Protein?

Hi, I'm struggling with hitting my macros goals. Hitting my calories is actually the easy part and usually I'm under calories most of the time anyway. The real struggle is trying to hit the protein AND keeping down the carbs. My question is which should I be trying to hit more, the carbs or the protein? Obviously, I WANT to be hitting both goals, but in right now it seems to be one or the other that I can focus on. This is only my second week using macros over simple calorie goals everyday. My goals is to loose weight but I'm also in the middle of building muscle. Any help or input would be greatly welcomed and appreciated!

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Hit protein, fat and then whatever is left can be filled by carbs.

If you are eating at a deficit you won't build muscles, you will preserve your muscle mass by eating enough protein and lifting but it's very unlikely you will build muscles, except for the initial noob gain maybe.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Hit protein, fat and then whatever is left can be filled by carbs.

If you are eating at a deficit you won't build muscles, you will preserve your muscle mass by eating enough protein and lifting but it's very unlikely you will build muscles, except for the initial noob gain maybe.

This is it, but work out the protein level you need if you eat TDEE and set MFP to that (don't go for the reduced amount MFP gives you when you ask for a deficit - it is too low. Take all calories out of carbs but then eat carbs for your exercise calories. From the research I've seen ... if you do a lot of exercise you need to increase your protein levels even more.

If you don't' adjust your protein there is a chance your lean body mass will reduce and you will end up skinny and weak instead of lean and strong :-)