Is gluten free cous cous a 'clean' food?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    people who are prediabetic or insulin resistant need to eat less carbs to lose weight

No, they don't. I was once prediabetic and I have IR. I have never cut carbs in my life, yet I've lost over 120lbs.

Both the ADA and Diabetes UK say it's not necessary to cut carbs out or down if you're diabetic and want to lose weight.

People would be less incredulous if OP was saying she'd take it to a food bank or something, instead of just dumping it in the bin.

Do you weight lift? Are you wanting to gain musle and get an ultra flat stomach that isn't bloated with bad foods? Well that's me. I'm diabetic and I'm wanna eat low gi foods that keep my sugar level balanced also , I don't want rubbish foods...

in truth, there are no "rubbish" foods. There is just food that we use for energy. Eat in a deficit, hit macros,s and work out/move more and you will have success. Eating clean has nothing to do with it.

Given your diabetic situation you may have some sensitivities to certain foods and it may make sense to keep the carb intake a little more under control …but all in all if you are eating in a deficit you will lose weight..
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    people who are prediabetic or insulin resistant need to eat less carbs to lose weight

No, they don't. I was once prediabetic and I have IR. I have never cut carbs in my life, yet I've lost over 120lbs.

Both the ADA and Diabetes UK say it's not necessary to cut carbs out or down if you're diabetic and want to lose weight.

People would be less incredulous if OP was saying she'd take it to a food bank or something, instead of just dumping it in the bin.

She didn't say people who are pre-diabetic or insulin resistant need to cut carbs, she said they need to eat less carbs.

I have bad insulin resistance and reactive hypoglycemia. Both my endocrinologist and dietician told me to limit my carb and sugar intake. They told me to completely eliminate refined carbs and stick to complex carbs only.

The more "bad" carbs I eat, the worse I feel. The more "bad" carbs I eat, the more my blood sugar crashes. Not everyone with insulin resistance is like this though… Some people are more insulin sensitive than others.

It's all about choosing the right carbs.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    You might get unnecessarily crucified by the anti-clean eating police for asking this question. I would say is that if you are comfortable with how the ingredients are sourced and processed, and it fits your macros, eat it. I generally don't eat a lot of flour or gluten-free replacements, but that's just me and how I prefer to spend my calories. If you like more starches and you tolerate them well, do what works for you. I am liking quinoa, sweet potatoes, and bananas for most of my starches. I'm also finding a lot of creative uses for coconut flour. I think most of the idea of eating clean is getting away from empty calories and ingredients that are made in labs, not grown or raised. Yes, there is no consensus on what eating clean means, and a lot of people will bash you for that. Who cares? Eat how you feel best. For me, my reasons are not just health-related but more related to food system sustainability.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    45222979.jpg
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    She didn't say people who are pre-diabetic or insulin resistant need to cut carbs, she said they need to eat less carbs.

I have bad insulin resistance and reactive hypoglycemia. Both my endocrinologist and dietician told me to limit my carb and sugar intake. They told me to completely eliminate refined carbs and stick to complex carbs only.

The more "bad" carbs I eat, the worse I feel. The more "bad" carbs I eat, the more my blood sugar crashes. Not everyone with insulin resistance is like this though… Some people are more insulin sensitive than others.

It's all about choosing the right carbs.

Exactly. "Cut" carbs, not "cut carbs out". i.e. reduce, not remove.

You're talking about "quality" of carb, which is a given if you have IR or diabetes, but also glazing over the importance of other macros in controlling blood glucose levels. Carbs, however refined, plus protein source = increased postprandial insulin response, and an improvement in blood glucose response, even in insulin resistant or diabetic individuals.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    That was an odd substitute, cous cous for quinoa. That's like subbing linguine for wild rice. Neither is bad for you, one is just a whole grain and the other is formed pasta made from what must be a gluten free flour and eggs. Neither is bad for you and depending on which flour was used, may be great assuming you're not vegan and can eat eggs. No need to toss it.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    All I asked was cous cous healthy and clean, I've never tried it, never eating it, and am curious what it is. And everyone's replying telling me not to cut carbs and telling me how to loose weight when they know nothing about me or my goals.

I know how to loose weight, I know a carb free diet isn't healthy. Don't tell me what I know...
    I'm eating clean to be lean but my eating clean is having a certain amount of carbs a day too but healthy carbs.

Cous cous is perfectly 'clean' and healthy. OP, demonizing food groups or thinking of foods as either 'bad' or 'good' is a complete waste of mental energy. Eat what you like, and hit your macros. The end.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I don't want bloating stomach foods?

Agreed!!! people get soo defensive when anyone mentions eating clean!!! I know it makes me feel amazing and thats why I do it , it might not be for everyone !! to each their own !!!

Unless you have celiacs or a gluten intolerance, carbs will not bloat you.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Ordered quinoa from asda today and they substituted if for gluten free cous cous, carbs look pretty high and it has some fibre and potien just wondering as I accepted it, or do I bin it as I wanna eat clean only foods?

Coucous is pasta.

If one is "clean" or "dirty", by whatever definition you are using, then so is the other.
  • Leylaos
    Leylaos Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Wow there people dieing of starvation and you thrown food in the bin because its high carb ??
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly clean, meaning I choose foods in their whole form most of the time and I prefer foods with one or few ingredients and no artificial additives.

I would like to point out, however, that the only foods that will make you bloated are the ones that you are particularly sensitive too. For example, dairy makes me bloated, but dairy can be a part of a clean diet for many others.

I'm not sure what the ingredients in gluten free couscous are. The clean eaters I know judge their food by content/ingredients, not carbs/fiber/protein, although the nutrients are important to any balanced diet. I eat whole wheat couscous from Trader Joe's, which only has one ingredient. The whole grain quinoa I buy only has one ingredient as well. Carbs and pasta aren't 'unclean', especially if they're one-ingredient whole grain options. However, I can't give you advice about this specific product because I don't know what it is.
  • HappyStack
    Options
    It's made from maize.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    It's made from maize.

is that why it tastes so .... amazing???
  • HappyStack
    Options
    It's made from maize.

is that why it tastes so .... amazing???

"A-maize-ing" for sure.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    It's made from maize.

No, its made from durum wheat- unless the 'gluten free' one is made differently....
  • HappyStack
    Options
    It's made from maize.

No, its made from durum wheat- unless the 'gluten free' one is made differently....

That's what I was replying to, the poster who asked what the gluten-free version was made of.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    It's made from maize.

Nothing can be made from wheat AND be gluten free. Gluten comes from wheat.

Most gluten free cous cous is made from roasted brown rice flour. I don't think what was shipped in lieu of quinoa is "bin worthy." It's good stuff, OP. You should at least try it. I'm a raw vegan. I would not suggest something to someone I felt was unhealthy. Give it a chance and see what you think.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Hate to break it to you but cous cous is pasta. Nothing clean about pasta.

Oh really? I didn't know. Thank you. Straight for the bin then.

tumblr_lqknqd6XvY1qbonq4o1_500.gif
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    It's made from maize.

It pretty much would have to be made differently, since wheat contains gluten.

And, re an earlier post, couscous is indeed pasta, just like spaghetti or penne, except that the couscous you buy in the grocery is probably precooked before being dried, unlike the spaghetti. (I'm talking about the tiny Moroccan-style couscous; I've only eaten the larger Israeli-style at restaurants and salad bars, but it certainly seems like pasta, too -- it's nothing like unground wheat, such as wheat berries or wheat flakes.)
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Hate to break it to you but cous cous is pasta. Nothing clean about pasta.

Oh really? I didn't know. Thank you. Straight for the bin then.

:huh: I am pretty sure there was a second part to that. Starving people would love to have it. They don't tend to get all caught up in "clean" vs "dirty" when it comes to food...