1200 Cal Diet and Need Running Buddies

Options
:happy: I just started the 1200 calorie diet and have been running for about 2 weeks now. I'm attempting to train up for a half marathon or at least do some 5k's and 10k's and integrate running into a new healthy lifestyle. I love the running but they aren't kidding when they say you have to give it a full month before it feels good. I'm dying with the 1200 calorie diet and would love to have some friends out there that are trying to make it through as well. I've got 20 lbs to lose in order to be in ideal running shape and look pretty good. Feel free to add me and we can chat about our runs and the hungry diet.

Replies

• lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I really struggled with the breathing when I first started the c25k app, and my friends who ran just said "after ten mins, you'll be fine"... I never saw myself getting to ten mins.
    But I did, and more...let it slip recently and trying to find the weather conditions and time to start again.
  • delphaine
    delphaine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I hear you, running in the cold really gets my lungs acting up. I try to stay indoors until the weather gets better.
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I'm too scared to lose any form I may have built up!!!

Managed my first 5k of the year today..slow, but got there.
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about you but I'm guessing that 1200 calories is way to low if you are training for distance running..... have you checked this calculator out?

http://www.marathon.ipcor.com/marathon-nutrition-calculator.htm
  • 000Linda000
    000Linda000 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner but I'm also on the 1200 diet. I'm restarting mfp after a few months off.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    if you are running you need more that 1200 cals per day or else you are heading for burnout and injury. most people don't listen to this advice of course but I thought I would let you know so if you carry on you will know why you have broken down when you do
  • valmegb
    valmegb Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I'm attempting to run, cycle and swim while on 1200 kcals and like you am finding it hard. It's doable but in order to do it I'm having to ensure that I eat back some of the exercise calories.

Add me as a friend and we can support each other!
  • sausens
    sausens Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you want to run, you need more calories. Try to NET at 1200, otherwise you will hurt your body.
  • delphaine
    Options
    Nice job, hope it felt great!
  • delphaine
    Options
    I am doing the 1200 diet, however, I'm doing it with the net at 1200 on run days so my 5 running days a week are more like 1600ish and my off days are around 1200, but it still feels very hard.
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I run and I can only eat 1200 calories. I always eat the calories I burn off so I end up eating more than my 1200 calories. In fact it encourages me to work out so I can eat more. : )
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    if you are running you need more that 1200 cals per day or else you are heading for burnout and injury. most people don't listen to this advice of course but I thought I would let you know so if you carry on you will know why you have broken down when you do

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :heart:
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I am doing the 1200 diet, however, I'm doing it with the net at 1200 on run days so my 5 running days a week are more like 1600ish and my off days are around 1200, but it still feels very hard.

I would still recommend looking into calculating your TDEE. You can eat more than that and still lose weight.
  • irakrishna1
    irakrishna1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me I'm on 1200-1400 cal diet, however I eat my calories back most of the time. A bit slow (45min /5km) but I love running. Two times a week I try to hit 5km. Last few days took a break due to sickness now back on the track from tomorrow. See you!
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    You say you are struggling at 1200, I would be too. When I run, I have to eat my BMR and my calories back or I run myself down. There is nothing wrong with fueling body. And trust, I lost more running like that I did when I was just doing 1280 a day.
  • delphaine
    Options
    Hey you guys are great, lots of good advice so far. I am doing my best to keep my net around 1200 which on my 4 mile days ends up being closer to 1700 because of the extra 500ish calories I earn. Once my pace speeds up then I think I will be burning enough to not quite worry too much about calorie intake, however, I'm running like a 37min/5k so far and my pace is terribly slow. I'm not sure I should really test calorie intake much past the 1200net at this point.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Hey you guys are great, lots of good advice so far. I am doing my best to keep my net around 1200 which on my 4 mile days ends up being closer to 1700 because of the extra 500ish calories I earn. Once my pace speeds up then I think I will be burning enough to not quite worry too much about calorie intake, however, I'm running like a 37min/5k so far and my pace is terribly slow. I'm not sure I should really test calorie intake much past the 1200net at this point.

1200 is just the default number that my fitness pal uses as the minimum. I really, really suggest if you want to keep running and gain speed you research TDEE and BMR. At least do your own research, 1200 is not the magic loss number. Most people should eat well over.
  • TapouTFTW
    Options
    1350 Cal a day here and I started C25K over the weekend (Day 3 is tomorrow). I was in the Army for 5 years and I N E V E R liked running. Put an 80 lbs pack on my back and go for a 12 mile march, cool. Morning PT of 4 mile run, not cool. Sprints, hate em.

However, running... like broccoli, is something I just have to put back into my "diet". Some form of cardio is necessary and right now, C25K is it.
  • delphaine
    Options
    1200 is just the default number that my fitness pal uses as the minimum. I really, really suggest if you want to keep running and gain speed you research TDEE and BMR. At least do your own research, 1200 is not the magic loss number. Most people should eat well over.

I will look up the TDEE and BMR, and thanks for the advice.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    :happy: I just started the 1200 calorie diet and have been running for about 2 weeks now. I'm attempting to train up for a half marathon or at least do some 5k's and 10k's and integrate running into a new healthy lifestyle. I love the running but they aren't kidding when they say you have to give it a full month before it feels good. I'm dying with the 1200 calorie diet and would love to have some friends out there that are trying to make it through as well. I've got 20 lbs to lose in order to be in ideal running shape and look pretty good. Feel free to add me and we can chat about our runs and the hungry diet.

If what you say is true about training for a half, then you will need to take in a lot more then 1200. I am training for my second half marathon, and I don't run that fast either....probably a 10:00 pace tops....and I eat 1800 a day, more on long run days. When you get to the last weeks of your training you will really need to be hitting calorie marks, anything too low and your runs will start suffering, especially your longer runs.

I won't try to talk you out of running a half, though if you are brand new to running I suggest focusing on the 5K, then the 10K and -then- the half marathon....this way you are allowing a slow transition for your body. There is so much going on in your body that you really should go slow and ease into the next distance up.