Two questions

Options
Okay....I have done pretty good about keeping in my calorie goal and have been getting in some walking almost daily. Trying to start fitting in some other exercises. I have a work out DVD I want to get back into doing and I also am trying to fit in some jump roping or jumping jacks each day. My questions are....with the DVD does any one know how I can find out how many calories are burned doing the work outs. I know it is cardio but not sure how to put it in my diary on here. My second questions is kind of personal but have to ask, most of my weight centers on my belly. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep a heavy belly from bouncing around while trying to work out. Mine actually hurts at times when I try to work out because it moves so much. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    For the calories burned: I bought a heart rate monitor with a chest strap to help get a rough estimate off of amazon (paid about $30). I typically deduct 20% (sometimes more) of the calories it says and log that. Example:
    HRM reports: 147
    I log : 117

Can't help you with part 2. I lost a large chunk of weight just walking before starting any dvd's/running/exercise games/ect.
  • BrandyLeeShumway
    Options
    Thanks. I will have to check on one of the monitors some one else suggested that too me as well...just have to try to find one that fits with my funds.
  • liloldDee
    liloldDee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I put in fitness dvds as aerobics, personally I choose not to eat more than half my exercise calories as I don't trust the figure given. I don't have a hrm but have a fitbit.

Re the tummy when I was doing 30dayshred I wore a support vest, it was just a cheap one but it held my boobs and tummy in place. Its basically body shaping underwear. I would imagine lycra leggings would help too.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that says she wears a girdle when she works out. it holds everything in place.

me, personally, I'm "sick with it," and I like hearing the "flappa flappa," and can't wait til the day I don't hear it anymore. ;) but if it's to the point of hurting, then I would try a girdle. I don't know if she means the ACTUAL girdles, like "gramma used to wear," or just the spanx-y tops (but don't get it too tight).

as for workout videos, I log ones that involve weights as "circuit training," and ones that DON'T involve them as "aerobics." mfp overestimates burns, so if you're going to eat back your workout calories, I'd aim for 50-75% of what it tells you you've burned. :)

best of luck! you can do this, you're worth it! :)
  • lmccull1982
    Options
    I don't think you need a heart rate monitor, especially at first (unless your MD has said otherwise). You can check your own heart rate mid way through and see if your rate has reached maximum. If your heart rate is regular you can just count your pulse for 10 seconds and multiply by 6. That number is your rate. If it hasn't elevated enough, then you know you need to work harder. There are formulas for finding your max heart rate. You can do this: multiply your age by 0.7 and then subtract that number from 208. That number is your max heart rate. You can use the MFP or any online calculator to get a rough estimate of calories burned. If you are worried that these calculators are overestimating the amount burned, then subtract an arbitrary percentage.

However, if you are watching your diet and exercising and still not losing, then you might benefit from a HRM. Or, if a HRM would motivate you while exercising, then you might benefit. And, if you have a heart condition, then you need one.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Ugh my belly drives me freakin crazy when I'm jumping around!
    I suggest compression shorts (tight workout shorts, kinda like bike shorts without the butt padding lol) or other "workout" pants that are snug. You may find that makes you self concious, so you can try putting looser sweatpants over or, I LOVE the workout tops that are roomy with a tie or elastic at the bottom. They cover my belly area without being tight, and the cinched bottom means the top doesn't ride up when I do bendy stuff. Old navy has them, online, in plus sizes to 4X (up to XXL in store). I like this: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=37366&vid=8&pid=649519012
    I wear it over another tank that provides more coverage

ETA : hey old navy online even lets me search the women's size activewear for compression items!
    http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=5647#style=70623