I feel stupid.

Options
I feel absolutely stupid and ridiculous swinging my arms around, bending over with my butt in the air, kicking my legs and all the rest of the movements these cardio videos have you do. I just can't. I just can't get over how ridiculous I look in my mind's eye. It's actually prevented me from finishing this video I tried to do for cardio today.

How do you get over feeling like you look foolish and just do what you need to do?

Replies

• JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Because I think I look better doing that rather then sitting/laying on the couch.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I feel absolutely stupid and ridiculous swinging my arms around, bending over with my butt in the air, kicking my legs and all the rest of the movements these cardio videos have you do. I just can't. I just can't get over how ridiculous I look in my mind's eye. It's actually prevented me from finishing this video I tried to do for cardio today.

How do you get over feeling like you look foolish and just do what you need to do?

If you don't like it do something different - there is no set rule as to what exercise regime you have to follow
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    look at it this way: the reason you're working on cardio and dieting is because you don't like the way you look all the time. Looking silly or stupid while doing cardio only lasts for 15 minutes- maybe an hour. And yet, those few minutes will make you look and feel better than you do now, right? I think 15 minutes of looking silly is a small price to pay for looking and feeling good all the time.
  • andibenoit
    andibenoit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    When I first started doing Zumba and felt ridiculous, I reminded myself that everyone looks ridiculous the first few times and everyone improves with practice... I still have moments of "oh my, this new move looks ridiculous" but it doesn't last long, because now I know what I'm doing has been WORKING and I'd rather have it work than look cute doing it.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    On the one hand, you probably do look ridiculous. On the other hand, so does everyone else who does them. You can choose to either come to terms with looking ridiculous or find another exercise that makes you feel less foolish. Either's a good choice.
  • DatPanna
    Options
    Why not do something that focuses on technique instead of flailing? Like if you like kickboxing, take a real kickboxing course. If you like dancing to get fit, take a real dancing course. I HATE kickboxing videos because my boyfriend does MMA. I can feel the difference when HE teaches me how to throw a punch versus when I'm just wildly swinging powerless throws.

But if its jumping jacks, squats, ect, then I suggest just stop worrying so much. They work your muscles very effectively, and you know, it's not stupid to work out in any form. It'd be best to ask yourself why you feel stupid... And if it's because you think you'd look bad in front of someone else, then it's probably best to try to fight that thought. If it's because it just doesn't suit you, go for technique. Do what you enjoy that makes you active.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

You find something that you like doing and stick with it. If you want something badly enough, though, you'll endure a lot more than just feeling stupid to get it.
  • alicialetta
    alicialetta Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I just started doing Jillian michaels 30 day shred, and living in an apartment, I find myself thinking of how my neighbors below me must feel when I do jumping jacks, and the floor squeaks for a solid 20 minutes every day. But then, I remind myself of how unhappy I am at this weight, and remember that no matter how silly or loud I might be, I am doing this for ME. And unfortunately sitting quietly won't have the same benefit.

So I guess what I'm saying is that you should just remember why you bought the workout videos in the first place, and just picture yourself in a bikini on a beach somewhere. I swear it'll do the trick.

Good luck, feel free to add if you need a friend.
  • kayduro
    kayduro Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I feel stupid(er) and ridiculous(er) walking around in a fat body than I do jumping around to an exercise video. It's all about choices. Why don't you try your video when no one else is around?
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Maybe videos aren't for you:)

You could lift or kick-box, or run or bike or all of them or something se entirely different that you like to do.
    There are also different videos out there that may not seem as silly to you.
  • dedgjonator
    Options
    When trying to do a video I couldn't keep up and felt daft. Im using the kinect at the moment and even if you dont get the movement right or do things at the right time it still picks up the movement and tells you the calories. The more I use it the better I get. The voice also gives incouragement and specific instructions and hints.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    you are using a video so I take it you are home? and alone? so who the heck can see you? it's an excuse and not a very good one, but if you can't do the video's go for a walk, it's a great starting point.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    If no-one is watching you, why does it matter?
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it. Don't do it. :) Cardio can be a brisk walk. I feel like a complete nimrod when I do my work out videos, but I know in the long run it will help me, and I also do them completely by myself. Like, I lock the dogs in the other room becuse I don't want their judgement either :) But If I don't feel like shaking the house down, I go for a walk. A really long, brisk walk. I also belong to a gym and using the equipment there is nice in the winter. Otherwise you could go biking, or roller blading, or whatever you want :)

And, just food for thought, cardio isn't the only thing you can do to work out :) IF (IF IF IF IF) you can, join a gym, and do a weight training program! I feel SIGNIFICANTLY more bad *kitten* lifting weights, although they're light right now, than I could ever hope to feel running or doing cardio :p

Good luck to you in your continued fitness goals!!
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Then why are you doing the videos? There a millions of Youtube body weight workouts or apps.....yoga ....strength training....
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Believe me, I know how you feel! The first day I worked out, I puked afterward. I could hear my belly flapping around and I felt like if you harnessed my flab, you could power a small city for a year. I just decided that because I'm doing it at home, who cares? I'm in the basement and nobody can see me, so I'm going to just look stupid because it will get easier.

I started imagining that when my belly jiggled, the fat cells would hit each other and explode. Total Death Star destruction! The image amused me enough to work out the next day. Soon, my pants were falling down during my workout!

Now, I'm 68 days in and I've lost over 20 inches overall and have lost nearly a third of my goal!

How did I get over the silly feeling? I just posted pictures around with motivational sayings and pictures of clothes I want to buy when I'm my goal. I yelled at Jillian and pushed harder to show her I could do it no matter what she throws at me. I set mini-goals during my workouts that I would do "just one more" than last time.

It gets better. It won't get better if you don't keep trying, though! You can do this!!
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    so what if you look stupid or feel ridiculous thats what is great about doing them in the "privacy" of your own home.
    But I know that feeling , that is why I haven't yet talked myself into going to a ZUMBA class that I would really like to do.
  • ArtsyGarbage
    Options
    Some of my favorite older childhood memories are of my mother and I doing exercise tapes together. We were both much bigger then and really, *really* bad at them. We'd have to pause the video every 2 minutes and catch out breath and guzzle water. We'd stub our toes on the furniture we hadn't quite managed to push far enough away. The rug would slip and slide and we'd trip- sometimes over each other. And 15 minutes later the video "warm-up" would be over and we'd be dying. Embrace the absolute craziness. Nobody is supposed to be good at those videos immediately and the catch is, when you do get good at them you're supposed to buy a harder one and continue to challenge yourself. c:
    xx
  • DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way, everyone has to start in the same place...not liking their body, and working hard to change it. Most people wouldn't try to change the way their body looked if they already like the way it looks. It's just one of those things you have to overcome by doing it. Everyone at some stage felt the same way. There are things i hate doing at the gym, because i feel like a fool :)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Find something that you can enjoy doing and do that then, I started out walking in a therapy pool because I could barely stand for 30 seconds at a stretch so figure out what you can do that you will adhere too...... Best of Luck