Chicken Stew that isn't bland?

Options
I really want to give chicken stew another shot but it always seems bland to me. How can I give it some flavor?

Replies

• quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    Have you been introduced to Frank's hot sauce? Do you have a slow cooker? Boom: you're done.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I like chorizo in my "chicken stew". I don't put any oil in the pan, I just cube some chorizo and heat it so it releases its fat. Then I add my onions, celery, carrot, garlic, etc.

Once they're soft I add my chicken and let it colour. Then the herbs/spices and the other vegetables. Then the stock. A good stock is essential.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Do you like hot food?

Mince fresh ginger root, fresh hot chilis, and fresh garlic, stir fry in a bit of oil in a non-stick wok. Fry the chicken and other vegetables of choice, like green onions, summer squash, green beans, okra, Chinese eggplant. Salt with a bit of soy sauce. Serve with a half-cup of sticky rice for each person.
  • SnoopysBitch
    Options
    I like chorizo in my "chicken stew". I don't put any oil in the pan, I just cube some chorizo and heat it so it releases its fat. Then I add my onions, celery, carrot, garlic, etc.

Once they're soft I add my chicken and let it colour. Then the herbs/spices and the other vegetables. Then the stock. A good stock is essential.

... I honestly don't know what chorizo is... To the Google!
  • SnoopysBitch
    Options
    ...Chinese eggplant.

Eggplant is a diet staple of mine, but I don't know what Chinese eggplant is... Is that another name for graphiti eggplant?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    vindaloo curry paste. or if you want to keep the calories low, vindaloo curry powder may work, but it needs at least a little fat to bring out the flavour of the spices.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hot sauce makes EVERYTHING more interesting!

Do you have enough "crunch" in it? You may want to put in most of the vegetables (celery, carrots, onions) near the end so they're not soggy. I also like to steam a few cups of fresh spinach (it cooks down) and add them to a serving of stew. It adds texture and flavor but few calories.
  • SnoopysBitch
    Options

Oh, man. That sounds delicious.

THANKS for all the suggestions guys!! I think I have an idea of what I'm going to do!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    African peanut butter chicken stew. The recipe is floating around this section somewhere.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    If you are not into spicy - I used to just add Chicken OXO - but for the sake of cutting back a bit of sodium I reduced it (I use about 3/4 of a tsp now) and buy the poultry seasoning in the grinder bottles and I use that - I like the grinder style poultry seasoning - I just think it tastes better - also bay leaf is good to simmer in your stews and soups but remove them before you serve - I alway add turnip to stews and vegetable soups I just think they add a good flavour
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    This is more like chili, but you can adjust it (like take out the beans or add more veggies) and it's one of the only chicken soups that doesn't totally bore me. We usually add a little more spice, but the flavors of the recipe as written are pretty good.

http://www.food.com/recipe/the-doves-nest-white-chili-77159

Also, Tom Ka Gai (Thai coconut milk chicken soup) is really good and the lemongrass, chili, lime, kefir lime leaf, cilantro, etc in it all combine for a great, non-boring flavor.
  • S1inky
    S1inky Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Chinese 5 spice powder
    Chilli peppers
    garlic
    Ginger
    White pepper
    Black pepper
    Or patak curry paste

I dont think I have ever had a chicken stew without these type of additions.

As cheap fillers, cabbage, onions, celery, obviuosly light on the carbs.

I make a load of it with whatever I have. Usually I have roasted the chicken and the veg. Sometimes the next day or day after I wizz it up in the blender adding water if necessary to make soup. Cant beat it this time of year and if you are a bit under the weather and sore throats.