How do you lose 2-3lbs a week?

Options
Tips please!!

Replies

• kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Unless you are morbidly obese, this level of weight loss is not recommended or sustainable. 1-2 lbs per week is the maximum recommended. If you are shorter and near your weight range, it is not likely you will lose moe than a lb per week or so. You can lose 3-4 lbs per week at first if you are tall and morbidly obese. I started out at this rate but was 6'3" and 344 lbs. now that I am nearer my weight goal I don't lose it nearly that quickly. You want sustainable loss over quick loss. That being said, the larger the calorie deficit through diet and exercise you get the faster the loss (unless you go really low and go into starvation mode but more credit is given to that than is truly the case. Beat wishes for your success.
  • ortega144
    Options
    I am 220lbs, 5'5 & just starting out.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    for a 2lbs weight loss per week you need to eat 1000 calories a day less then what you burn

i.e. if you TDEE (total daily estimated expenditure) is 2500 cals and you only eat 1500 then you would lose 2lbs per week

people fail when the think they eat more then they think and burn less then they think thus not actually have a persistent calorie deficit
  • darvin1023
    darvin1023 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    it takes 3,500 calories to burn 1 pound of fat.
    Do the math.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    tdee-20% ought to suffice.. be more extreme and youll do more harm than good... you should lose at least 2 a week

ETA: at the age of 20 it should probably be easier for you than others... your metabolism hasnt slowed with age
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    for a 2lbs weight loss per week you need to eat 1000 calories a day less then what you burn

i.e. if you TDEE (total daily estimated expenditure) is 2500 cals and you only eat 1500 then you would lose 2lbs per week

people fail when the think they eat more then they think and burn less then they think thus not actually have a persistent calorie deficit

horrible misinformation.. just a surefire way to start with a larger deficit than necessary which will result in increased muscle loss, increased fatigue, and sooner plateaus
  • lindsaymarcin
    lindsaymarcin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bring out the food scale and measuring cups for everything you plan to eat and drink lots and lots of water!! It's all about portion control. Find out how much less you should be eating and if you are feeling hungry drink water to fill the void. It's really that simple and I wish I had figured it out long ago! Best of luck!
  • mtlprs
    mtlprs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    hey I don't want to burst your bubble, but after your initial water loss, were you can easily lose 2-3 lbs in a week, it gets harder.
    my setup is for 2lbs a week, I do cardio 5-6 days a week. and I hardly ever loose 2 lbs. sometimes nothing at all, sometimes 1 lbs.
    your body ajusts to any changes rather quickly, loosing weight is not a quick thing, or a easy thing....lets say if it took 35 years to get were you are, it's crayzy to think you can change that in 2 months......
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Hey, you're 20, what's the big rush! Better to eat at a deficit you can comfortably sustain (whilst still having a life) so that you keep it up to goal rather than give up through feeling unwell/left out.
  • abickford82
    Options
    You may be able to lose a little faster. I did something like Atkins when I first started losing weight in 2009. I ate nothing but spinach (TONS of it), boneless skinless chicken, and egg whites and dropped 75lbs. in 4 months (I dropped 17lbs. my first month). I was down 92lbs. by 2010. However, I wouldn't recommend it as eating just that kind of stuff isn't sustainable long term. Stick to a healthy balance. I've been at this weight loss thing for almost 5 years now, and I'm just down 101lbs., as some has come back b/c it wasn't realistic just eating a few items. I have about 15 more lbs. to lose, and it's going much slower these days but I am so much healthier.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Heres how to do it!! Eat under 1200 cals and exercise 3-4 hours a day. Lose very fast, stall, burn out then gain back everything you lost plus a few!!!
    OR........
    Calculate TDEE less 20% intentionally exercise most days of the week, be honest and log daily. Drink your water. Lose weight. Keep weight off!!!!
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    You start off really fat. Pretty much the only way it's gonna happen. My first few weeks I was losing 5+ lbs a week. Then it dropped off to 1-2, and now I'm around 0.5- 1 a week, which is healthy slow weight loss that is easy to maintain.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I don't get the whole TDEE thing. I told MFP I was Sedentary. It gave me 1200 Calories a day.
    I weighed 190 pounds when I started. I averaged 2lb a week the first 40 pounds I lost or so. It slowed down then I increased the Calories for Thanksgiving and Christmas to around a pound a week.

The experts do not recommend eating less than 1200 Calories a day.

Don't log cooking or cleaning or anything that doesn't last at least 15 minutes. This is my buffer in case I underestimate my food calories.
    Try to make exercise fun. Walk, bike, swim. I've tried all the 30 day challenges and have not finished one of them.
    IE: I can't seem to keep motivated but I don't mind getting out and walking every day after work.

Feel free to send a message if you have any questions. I would love to help.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I don't get the whole TDEE thing. I told MFP I was Sedentary. It gave me 1200 Calories a day.
    I weighed 190 pounds when I started. I averaged 2lb a week the first 40 pounds I lost or so. It slowed down then I increased the Calories for Thanksgiving and Christmas to around a pound a week.

The experts do not recommend eating less than 1200 Calories a day.

Don't log cooking or cleaning or anything that doesn't last at least 15 minutes. This is my buffer in case I underestimate my food calories.
    Try to make exercise fun. Walk, bike, swim. I've tried all the 30 day challenges and have not finished one of them.
    IE: I can't seem to keep motivated but I don't mind getting out and walking every day after work.

Feel free to send a message if you have any questions. I would love to help.