8 weeks of running and no weight loss

Options
So, I've now been running for 8 weeks, and have seen no change in my weight - no gain, but no loss at all. Could it be due to me focusing so heavily on running, and not enough variety including weight/resistance training? If that's all it is, I'm cool with that. That's fixable and a reasonable explanation. I'm still watching my diet very closely, but I've gone from losing 55 lbs in 6.5 months, to losing nothing. I started at 234lbs at 5'5" and 36 years old, and now I'm 180 lbs at 5'5" and 37 years old. I was patient for a while, thinking that maybe I'd hit the anticipated plateau, but I really had expected for the weight loss to pick up again, and that's just not happening. Today I ran 10 miles in 108 minutes, came home and drank a lot of water all of the remainder of the day. Someone told me that it might take up to 12 weeks for my body to finally click that running is now going to be my primary source of exercise. I hope so - I don't want to lose heart over this - I want to keep up my good work. I still have 35 lbs to lose!

Replies

• roxigirl89
    roxigirl89 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I hate to disappoint you but for some people running doesn't help with weight loss. I am one of them and i have been running for about 13 years now. After each run i tend to gain 1-2 pounds and it take ages to shift it. Honestly, it is so frustrating. How on earth this would happen? You exercise, eat good and instead loosing it opposite.

Here is few links for you to read:

http://runnersconnect.net/running-nutrition-articles/why-you-might-gain-weight-while-running/

http://ncrunnerdude.blogspot.co.uk/2010/07/running-and-still-gaining-weight.html

I think weight training might be better option for you. Or even trying 30 sec weights with 30 sec of cardio. You can find some free videos on YouTube. One of them called JNL Fusion live.

Good luck!
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on the progress you've already made-- that's great. :D

It sounds like it's just time to adjust your calorie intake downward. What used to be a deficit will eventually become maintenance, as your smaller body takes fewer calories to maintain itself.

If I were you, I'd keep everything else the same, cut the calories by 300/day or so, and see where you're at in two weeks.
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd keep everything else the same, cut the calories by 300/day or so, and see where you're at in two weeks.

^^
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. Keep doing what you're doing, just cut the calories a bit and see if that helps! I think it's great you've made so much progress already!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your progression as a runner!

You can continue to lose weight while running. It all comes down to calories. You may be overestimating how many calories your running is burning. I recommend this article:

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your progression as a runner!

You can continue to lose weight while running. It all comes down to calories. You may be overestimating how many calories your running is burning. I recommend this article:

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single

Thanks for that article. Looks like I have been overestimating my burn from walking to work.
  • cummingscb
    Options
    I appreciate these responses. I will definitely look into lowering my calories, as I'm averaging about 1400 calories per day, gross. I figured lowering them would put my body into starvation mode, since net calories after an average run (4 miles - about 400 calories) puts me under 1000 calories.

My Polar puts me usually around 100 calories per mile (like yesterday, I ran 10.06 miles, and my polar said 984 calories). I always round down, like yesterday I only put in 900 calories burnt. So, both suggestions that were given are things that I've been keeping in mind, but felt like I was already adjusting accordingly. I have to keep running through my half marathon in February. Once that's over, I will dial down the running a bit, and add back more weight work. I haven't totally abandoned the weights/resistance training, but it's down to only 1 day a week, or 2 days at best. I use 10 lb weights and do arms work, squats, plies, lunges, abs work, and dead lifts mainly, unless I'm in a class and I follow whatever the instructor wants.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I appreciate these responses. I will definitely look into lowering my calories, as I'm averaging about 1400 calories per day, gross. I figured lowering them would put my body into starvation mode, since net calories after an average run (4 miles - about 400 calories) puts me under 1000 calories.

My Polar puts me usually around 100 calories per mile (like yesterday, I ran 10.06 miles, and my polar said 984 calories). I always round down, like yesterday I only put in 900 calories burnt. So, both suggestions that were given are things that I've been keeping in mind, but felt like I was already adjusting accordingly. I have to keep running through my half marathon in February. Once that's over, I will dial down the running a bit, and add back more weight work. I haven't totally abandoned the weights/resistance training, but it's down to only 1 day a week, or 2 days at best. I use 10 lb weights and do arms work, squats, plies, lunges, abs work, and dead lifts mainly, unless I'm in a class and I follow whatever the instructor wants.

A few things -

1) running turns the hunger on. If you're not weighing/measuring your food, you may be underestimating what you are eating. It happens, especially at higher mileages.

2) are you weighing yourself the day after your long runs? If so, wait a day or two. Muscle will retain water for repair. I always put on 2-3 pounds after a long run.

3). You have made great progress (hooray!), but it will be more difficult to lose weight as you get closer to your goal. I recommend starting to focus more on measurements and photos.

I've never found that I can't lose weight while running, as long as I'm tracking as correctly as possible. However, If I run 50 miles a week, and eat 60 miles worth of food, I don't lose.