Coming back from illness

Options
In October 2013, I went to the doctor with a cough. And following an allergic reaction to an inhaler, I've had breathing difficulties and chest pain since early November. Turns out it was a chest infection, though that took an ambulance and a trip to A&E to diagnose. I've lost 3 months of gym time, and spent from Christmas to mid-January essentially just sleeping. I went from being able to row 15km to being unable to walk 15ft and that just destroys you mentally.

I hit goal weight too. Yay! Nothing like being so exhausted you can't look after yourself to the degree you're having to decide if you go to the loo or the kitchen before sleeping another 4 hours to kick off those extra pounds. I had to call in the cavalry and stay with my parents for 3 weeks just to ensure I ate anything.

Now, on my second bout of antibiotics, I seem to be on the mend. I'm still exhausted easily, but I can feed myself and I'm back to pre-illness weight and very happy about it - might have the energy to see the thing off this time round!

What's driving me insane though is that if I sit still, I feel like I could take over the world. But then I do the washing up and need to sit down for a bit. I want to run but I've difficulty walking to the end of my road without getting out of breath still. And my knees - any muscle imbalance and they lock and click and hurt. So 3 months without the gym and 3 weeks of basically no movement have left them crying out for a warm up, good stretch and some squats - all of which are still beyond me.

Any tips on how to fight the abject frustration caused by feeling like I could do a triathlon whilst knowing that running a hoover round the place would see me having a nap. I know that in order to come back stronger than ever I need to not overdo it now, but these walls are driving me insane and part of me wishes I'd stayed with my parents as then, at least, I could sit in a pub overlooking a canal and get some *space* into my mind.

Replies

• eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I suffer chronic illness, and end up in a similar position to you almost once a year. I promise it will get better, but you need to take things slowly. I'm not claiming to be someone who can give you medical advice, but don't forget you can always talk to your doctor (make sure your bloods are all good, your levels might be out from a funny diet). Spending a few weeks in bed leaves you with muscle wastage, and it takes time to build it back up. I find one of my best things is an exercise bike, I have a little one at home, nothing flash, but I'm able to work on my legs and start accustoming them to better blood flow and movement and helps with a little strength. I tire less doing that than walking as I'm sitting, and my energy drains faster if I'm walking/standing AND I'm somewhere comfortable, so needing to sit or lay down in the middle is okay.

Most importantly, don't be annoyed at yourself, you'll get back to where you were!
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Oh, my sympathies. I'm completely spare from 3 months of being unwell, so I have no idea how you manage if you feel anything like this on a regular basis!

Sadly I don't have an exercise bike and my gym is a 1.5km walk away. Plus my knees are weird and when they're really bad, the motion of pedalling can cause them to lock and, if forced through the movement (thank you spin bike) can cause me to limp for 3 weeks. (Doctors and ultra-endurance-cyclist boyfriend both mystified as to how that's possible, but I like to be awkward!) I suspect I'll be waiting until I have the energy for the physio exercises to start rehab on them. Not so great at getting the blood going, but it's something at least.

The second A&E visit basically found I'm as fit as an ox, so that's something. Hadn't quite seen off the infection, but the blood test didn't show anything alarming in that regard - took another 3 weeks for the cough to turn vile again. They were basically confused as to why I was so unwell, but I think it was basically the chest infection tore me to shreds and I needed way more time to recover.

It's very frustrating. I shall try to dig deep and find some hitherto unknown reserves of patience! Thanks :)
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry to read how debilitated you are by this infection. The only thing you can do is hang on in there and do what you can and admit when you can't. You really have to know your own version of, " the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak", to half understand it. Rest and eating as well as you can, broad spectrum, is the best for now, with a few more steps as you can. It will happen, it will get easier.

Take care.
  • Ozzzy66
    Ozzzy66 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor but remember "YOU HAD A CHEST INFECTION/LUNG INFECTION". Three months of little to no activity plus lung problems I would understand having endurance problems. Since you said the doctor said you are medically fit just take it slow. I'm sure you didn't start off rowing 15k. I'm currently coming back from a long layoff because of injury and have lost a lot of strength from not being able to lift. It is frustrating but it can be used as motivation to be better than before. I hope you feel better soon.
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I miss that good gym burn so freakin' much!

You're all right, and I know it. I need to sit on my rear, play a lot of computer games, maybe take Watford into Europe in Football Manager - should take suitably long enough. So bored of it all. I wanna go walking in the Chiltern Hills and... OK, if I keep thinking like this, I'm going to sulk myself into a really bad mood all day. Best install FM and use going downstairs to check for post as a good guide to how well I'm doing.