For all the parents out there......

Options
Amber030583
Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
Basically just wondering about something for my kid. I know there are alot of parents out there so I thought I could get some advice from you guys.

I know this is not diet oops lifestyle change related.

Next school year my son will be starting kindergarten. What did you make sure he/she knew how to do beforehand and also what did you wish you had taught them before they went.

Any input is appreciated...

Thanks!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I just picked up my son from his first day of pre-k and he had a blast. I just did some counting and the alphabet with him for the past few months. Since he is mixed with Mexican, we do some words and counting in spanish as well. As far as the first day goes, I just kept sounding excited and told him he is a big boy and that he will learn a lot and make a lot of new friends. That way he wouldn't cry when we dropped him off. It all turned out to be a great experience for all of us.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    oh, and taught him colors.
  • lfcutie
    lfcutie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    MY SON IS IN PRE -K AND JUST STARTED LAST WEEK SO I AM NOT SURE WHAT I TELL YOU WILL PERTAIN TO YOU SON OR NOT...I WISHED I SHOWED HIM HOW TO USE SCISSORS BETTER...HE GOES TO A PRIVATE SCHOOL SO HE HAS TO WEAR A BELT AND PANTS THAT BUTTON...I REALLY WISH I SHOWED HIM HOW TO DO THAT BEFORE HE WENT TO SCHOOL HE WAS HAVING TROUBLE DOING THAT....MY SON IS PRETTY BRIGHT (EVERY MOM SAYS THAT!) SO HE KNEW HIS SHAPES, COLORS, ABC'S, COUNTING ALL THE BASIC STUFF LIKE THAT BEFORE HE WENT TO SCHOOL... HOPE THAT KINDA HELPS
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    My son just started kindergarten this year. I went to a parents meeting last Spring and someone asked that same question, the teachers stated it is good if they know how to write their name first letter upper case and the rest lower case, count to 10, know the ABC's, and to be able to sit and listen to a book being read. It just amazes me how fast they learn stuff, we started having our son write his name every night, I think he had it down pretty good within a week!! They grow too fast :frown:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Make sure he can spell his name, can read a little, knows the alphabet, numbers, colors, you get the idea. My two year old is starting to read, and spells her name, can count a little, and knows her colors.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Don't stress over it. It's way harder on you than it will be on him.