Working towards that first press up!

Options
slr90
slr90 Posts: 212 Member
I cannot do a press up. Not a single one. Anyone got any tips on building the strength to be able to do one? :)

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Start with a staircase, find an appropriate stair where you can push yourself up 8-10 times (but not more). Do 3 sets. When you feel like you could go more than 10 reps on that stair, move down one and keep working downwards until you're doing them on the ground.

Don't bother with knee-push ups (aka girl push ups). They don't really train you to do good form real push ups, working down stairs is better.

If you can't do any stairs yet, start with a sturdy kitchen counter or table.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Start with a staircase, find an appropriate stair where you can push yourself up 8-10 times (but not more). Do 3 sets. When you feel like you could go more than 10 reps on that stair, move down one and keep working downwards until you're doing them on the ground.

Don't bother with knee-push ups (aka girl push ups). They don't really train you to do good form real push ups, working down stairs is better.

If you can't do any stairs yet, start with a sturdy kitchen counter or table.
    ^THIS

I started with the kitchen counter, then moved to the end of my sleigh bed...then to the 3rd step...getting better at it as time goes by.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Yep - agree with advice given.

I started on the arm of my sofa - moved to a bench when I joined a gym, then moved down to a high step

When I can do 3 x 10 I move down to a lower level - then back up so I always do 3 x 10 in total.

ie

3 reps on high step then 7 on bench x 3. each time I try to do more on the step until I am doing them all on the step - then I'll move to a low step, then eventually the floor. :bigsmile:
  • slr90
    slr90 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I will defo give the stairs a try! :)