Do you log walking as your exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I personally don't see walking as serious exercise. If it's not something I didn't intentionally set out to do for exercise purposes then it isn't getting logged simple as. However there are some people that do walk as a form of exercise in their case I would say its fine for them to log. It's all about your intentions. 'Light cleaning/dusting' or 'walking up stairs' should not be considered loggable exercise in my opinion.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Walking is the reason the indicator on my ticker is over on the right side. I wear a Fitbit and log a lot more steps than my sedentary job would indicate. The MFP sedentary setting is for someone who doesn't move much.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I only log walking when I have laced up my sneakers, put in my earbuds and walked miles, not steps.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I only log walking if I am specifically doing it as exercise. I occasionally do more walking than is part of my normal routine (running lots of errands, nice day outside so the whole family goes for a long walk), but I don't log it. I think if I logged things like that I would make myself crazy trying to keep my calorie numbers in check, and I need to keep this simple.
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I personally don't see walking as serious exercise. If it's not something I didn't intentionally set out to do for exercise purposes then it isn't getting logged simple as. However there are some people that do walk as a form of exercise in their case I would say its fine for them to log. It's all about your intentions. 'Light cleaning/dusting' or 'walking up stairs' should not be considered loggable exercise in my opinion.

I'm still sore from our 5 1/2 mile walk yesterday which was a 350 calorie burn. I'll take that thank you.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I consciously go for a brisk walk up to 3 times a day at work, these I log. Sometimes I walk before and after a run to warm up/cool down, these I log. Normal day to day walking I don't log as this is normal daily activity.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I do. I used sedentary for my setting and I log every activity, even the end of day total from my pedometer, and I eat back every single calorie because I earned them.

There is no right or wrong way to use MFP, contrary to what people will tell you here. It's just a tool; you've got to figure out what works for you.
  • Bambalina_1
    Bambalina_1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    No I do Not log my walks to the train station or to work or around the house because I was doing these prior to MFP and it's at a leisurely pace.

I Do however log the 2.5mile walk I do at a fast pace 5 times a week as this is my choice of exercise. I generally burn around 260 cals and have used a map app to log a circuit which I follow and try to beat my previous time.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    When I purposely leave the house to go for a walk (usually 3-6 miles depending which route I take that day) I log it.

Walking around the house, walking around a shopping mall or a grocery store, NO *I* don't log that. That's 'normal' activity/movement IMO.
  • kschlap
    kschlap Posts: 15
    Options
    As a personal rule, I only log walking when it's over 15 minutes. If I'm just walking around the house or walking around a store, no, but if the walking is a continuation of walking for over 15 minutes, then I'll log it. I only do this so that it's easy to log and so I don't get caught up in trying to account for every step I take. I only like to log it when it's a significant amount of time.