Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Casserole

Options
Hey Everyone! Last night I threw together a yummy recipe that I wanted to share with everyone. I was snowed in/winded in last night with negative temperatures (and 40 mile an hour winds) and wanted something to 'comfort' myself while staying healthy. It's super easy, so you don't know to be any sort of a chef to whip this up. Hope you enjoy!

Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Casserole -

6 Cups Cooked Spaghetti Squash
3/4 Jar of Arrabiata Sauce (I used Classico because it was in my pantry, but I would recommend homemade if you have the time)
6 Mini Sweet Bell Peppers
2 Cups Part Skim Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Sprinkle of Paprika
Sprinkle of Mrs. Dash Original Seasaoning
1/2 tsp of Red Pepper Flakes

1. Slice large uncooked spaghetti squash in half. Sprinkle olive oil and paprika on flesh. Grease a cookie sheet (I used cooking spray) and place your squash face/flesh down. Pop in the oven for 70-90 minutes at 350 degrees. (Cooking time will vary based on the size of your squash. I used a large squash. Smaller squash will take less time). You will know when your squash is done because the outside skin will be soft.

2. While squash is cooking, dice the sweet peppers.

3. When spaghetti squash is done, remove from over and turn the squash over to cool. Once cooled (enough to touch), scrape out the seeds, dispose. Use a fork for scrape down the sides to get your "spaghetti". Place spaghetti into a large rectangle baking dish (I used a glass one).

4. Place diced bell peppers, arrabiata sauce, and spices into baking dish. Mix well. Careful not to mix too much, however, as spaghetti squash will break up.

5. Place cheese over the stop of your spaghetti squash mixture.

6. Place foil over the baking dish and cook for 25 minutes at 350 degrees, or until cheese is melted.

7. Let cheese cool enough to cut in 6 pieces. Server like lasagna.

Nutritional Facts Per Serving
Calories 201 - Carbs 20 - Fat 8 - Protein 13 - Fiber 4 - Iron 6

The portions were a decent size if you aren't starving. If you are super hungry, eating two portions is totally doable (and under 500 calories) or serve with a nice spinach salad.

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    sounds good - i do a version of this with my homemade meat sauce

also I remove the seeds from the squash before cooking - just scrape them out like you do with a pumpkin - just less messy maybe?

I also think leftover chili would be fab baked in a spaghetti squash with a sprinkle of cheese but I have yet to try it :)