Squats, weights, cardio, etc...how much?

Options
linka411
linka411 Posts: 101 Member
Hi everyone,

Before I go into my questions, here's my goal summary. I'm 24, 5'3'', at about 130. I want to get down to 120, and reduce my body fat from 37% to 20%. I guess I'll probably gain weight as I build muscle which is fine. The body fat loss is the most important thing for me. I'm not in a rush to do this, as my "deadline" so to speak is the end of summer. If I don't make it then I won't perceive it as a failure as long as I have made some positive progress. BMR appears to be 1304 according to the MFP tool here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

I'm planning on going to the gym to lose body fat and gain muscle, and my understanding is that one of the best ways to do that is by doing things like squats, bench pressing and deadweight lifting. Just getting stronger overall as opposed to isolated exercises. That's all well and good, but I just don't understand a few things and it's keeping me from getting started-

1. How many reps/times am I supposed to do these types of exercises?
2. When do I know to increase weight? For now I assume I will do body weight with at least my squats to get proper form down pat.
3. How should I compensate my diet/calorie intake? More protein, carbs, etc.?

I do understand that cardio is important too, and I will work to get back into fencing which I used to do in college. I found a place where I live that meets every saturday, so I will work to be there and get some cardio over the course of the 2 hours that the practice lasts. Otherwise during the my gym visits I can also do some treadmill or elliptical if the general populace here deems it useful. I'm also going to try and do hiit training at least through most of the week from dailyhiit.com. Not sure what kind of exercise hiit counts as though, if anyone can tell me I'd appreciate it.

So here are my thoughts so far on an exercise routine:
Mon- Hiit training (15 min, however long the videos are), gym for weights/cardio (maybe an hour? How long should it be?)
Tue- Hiit training, fencing if I can make it (they meet on tuesdays as well but it may be harder to do then when I find a new job). Otherwise just the hiit.
Wed.- Same as Monday.
Thur- Hiit.
Fri- Same as Monday and Wednesday
Saturday- fencing (2 hours)
Sunday- rest

Does this seem like a good plan? Would this amount of workout count as light exercise or more (so I can calculate TDEE)?

Also, yes, I am working to improve my diet. More veggies, more cooking at home. Since I'll be doing strength exercise I will also add more meat to the mix, it's just a matter of knowing how much. I want to put the burning questions to rest so I can stop spending my time doing research all day long and more time actually working to get results :). Any help is greatly appreciated in advance!

Replies

• iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Look up Starting Strength and Strong Lifts 5x5. These are widely regarded to be the two best beginner weight training programs anywhere. They will answer all of your questions :)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

I don't think you need to be doing HIIT that often. 2-3 times a week, and not 2 days in a row should be fine.
  • linka411
    Options
    Thanks! I'll use the 5x5 summary post you've placed here BusyRae.

If the exercise I planned is too much perhaps I can just make monday, wednesday and friday my workout days and do hiit then. That was honestly my plan from the start of my commitment to getting in shape(exercise on those days), so that works for me :). If that's the case, should I eat more calories on those days as if I was working out a lot as (light exercise or moderate exercise) as opposed to more sentinent days, or would my intake throughout the week be more like light exercise or moderate exercise?
  • amastre
    amastre Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Typically you should eat a bit more on days that you lift weights, especially if you are aiming to increase lean muscle mass while reducing bodyfat. I also lend another vote of confidence to Stronglifts 5x5, that is a really great way to get started with weight training and make some good progress.
  • linka411
    Options
    Quick question about it, the 5x5, actually. Based on the summary, I don't understand when I'm supposed to increase the weights. Do I do it at every rep, every week, when?

Here's where I'm referring to:

So for example, Workout 1 will be Squat 45, Press 45, Deadlift 95 (or amount you think is correct). Workout 2 will be Squat 50, Bench 45, Row 65 (or amount you think is correct). Workout 3 will be Squat 55, Press 50, Deadlift 105

What is considered a "workout"? Exercise A on day one, then the next time I exercise, I already go to Workout 2? That seems awful quick to up the weights. Shouldn't I wait until I'm comfortable with the amounts in workout 1?
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Quick question about it, the 5x5, actually. Based on the summary, I don't understand when I'm supposed to increase the weights. Do I do it at every rep, every week, when?

Start what is still managable but increase as you feel stronger. Olympic bar is 45 lbs (20 kg) and that weight is ok for beginners. Be very, VERY careful about your form. You can do first set with just barbell, in second set add small weights in third add some more. Or you can go easier way and increase weights every week, for instance Mondays. Be sure to write it down.

If you are lifting weights you have to take the following day off so your muscles can rebuild. Do some light cardio like jogging. HIIT is too intense.
  • TomfromNY
    TomfromNY Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I think your plan is overly aggressive. You are at 130 and want to lose 22 pounds of fat and gain 10 pounds of muscle by summer?

Figure out a simpler goal/plan:
    - I want to get to 120 without losing any existing muscle mass - eat at a small caloric deficit, make sure you have protein, do some cardio, do some basic strength training
    - I want to gain strength and muscle, knowing that I may gain some weight (although you will probably look less fat than now and have a lower fat percentage) - Get Starting Strength and do barbell training 3 times a week (no cardio), eat at a slight surplus, avoid excess sugar and starches, and make sure you get a good amount of protein
    - I want to get to 120 as fast as I can - eat at a bigger deficit, do a lot of cardio

Any of these goals are reasonable by summer and then you can re-evaluate your next step
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    first things first. Im not sure whats your food intake so il just calculate based on what you provided.

1. 130 lbs x 14 equates to 1820 calories intake daily
    2. 40-40-20 split which equates to 728 calories or 182 grams for both protein and carbs 364 calories or 40 grams from fats.
    3. EAT AS much whole foods as possible, lean protein sources, LOw GI carb sources if possible.
    4. weigh your food to the grams if you can for a faster result and adjust accordingly from 1820 then reduce 150-300 calories if you hit a sticking point or plateau usually 2 weeks is a good timeframe.
    5. Aim to loose 4-5 lbs monthly, understand that this is the safest weight to loose, initially would be a big jump so dont change anything until the you notice weight doesnt change for 2 weeks.
    6. Try this 3 day split for now http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw21.htm with NO cardio and see if how much you can loose for 2 weeks, add in cardio as minimum as possible, there will be a lot of time for that in the last few weeks before your finish line, usually 4-6 weeks.
    7. RECORD training duration, rest times, weight used and progress every week with the intention of gaining strength.

MOST IMPORTANTLY give yourself TIME.... BE PATIENT, understand that for now your goal is to get back to it.... meaning focus on forming a healthy lifestyle I MIGHT DARE TO SUGGEST TO PUT away the scale for now and just focus on tracking macros and exercising and gaining strentgh. GIVE IT AT LEAST 3-4 MONTHS and you can then start weighing yourself. In my opinion the scale can make or break you in these early stages of your journey because you dont have the FOUNDATION. LASTLY CONSISTENCY IS THE KEY..... ALL PROGRAMS work if followed up to finish line, with the right NUTRITION and TRAINING. GOODLUCK TO YOU and i know you will make it, have a look on my food diary to have an idea.
  • linka411
    Options
    I would plan to do HIIT on the same day I go to the gym, so basically put all of the exercise in on day three times a week.

As far as aggression goes, I guess I can sort of see that now in taking a step back. Based on your suggestions Tom, I'll do my best to reevaluate things and look for something more reasonable to do based on my priorities. Thank you!