Poutine

Options
avemaryama
avemaryama Posts: 277 Member
Does anyone have a magic poutine recipe that isn't over 700 cals but still taste delicious? I've been some cheesy, gravy soaked hand cuts but 750 cals!!!!

Anyone with a clever hack please help a girl out.

(Poutine is basically hand cut fries drenched in a delicious grave and covered in cheese curds, or whatever cheese you prefer. Mostly enjoyed in Canada and specifically french canada)

Replies

• healthytanya1
    healthytanya1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    If your making your own at home then maybe try baking the french fries. Put some lower calorie cheese on at the end to melt it. Then dip each fry in the gravy instead of having the fries smothered with gravy. I know it won't totally be the same but at least the basic flavors are still in each bite.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    If your making your own at home then maybe try baking the french fries. Put some lower calorie cheese on at the end to melt it. Then dip each fry in the gravy instead of having the fries smothered with gravy. I know it won't totally be the same but at least the basic flavors are still in each bite.

I'm canadian and it woudn't be poutine unless the fries are swimming in the gravy but the baked fries, low fat cheese will cut some, otherwise just less gravy I guess...I love poutine :heart:

Or cut back on your portion size :frown:
  • avemaryama
    Options
    For some reason, baked fries, while they taste the same basically, make me feel like I'm cheating on the deep frier so I've kind of stopped then altogether. The craving just really hit me today. But thanks, I think I'll have to try out the 'Not so Poutine' lol and see how that goes
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    No. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Poutine has to have a million calories a bite!!!!!

Lol.

I guess oven baked fries and just a tiny bit of cheese would work but I would not use low fat cheese ....burk:sick:

I always said that trying to fit a poutine in your diet is like trying to fit an elephant in the fridge. :laugh:
  • avemaryama
    Options
    I'm canadian and it woudn't be poutine unless the fries are swimming in the gravy but the baked fries, low fat cheese will cut some, otherwise just less gravy I guess...I love poutine :heart:

Or cut back on your portion size :frown:
    [/quote]

haha, yeah..the poor fry swimming in all that gravy lol but yes, it just wouldn't be the same unless it was. I'll see what I can do to bring it down to something reasonable
  • avemaryama
    Options

Lol.

I guess oven baked fries and just a tiny bit of cheese would work but I would not use low fat cheese ....burk:sick:

I always said that trying to fit a poutine in your diet is like trying to fit an elephant in the fridge. :laugh:

lol ^this. I'm on 1200 cals and 750 would destroy that, even if I earn an extra 500 from cardio *sigh* I've never tried low cal cheese
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

Lol.

I also agree with this statement even though I love it I can't remember the last time I had it even when I wasn't watching my foods :ohwell:
  • lauribear
    lauribear Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Canadian here too, and I LOVE poutine!

Honestly, I wouldn't try and make a healthier version. I would just enjoy a smaller portion less frequently. I live in Vancouver and some restaurants here use mushroom gravy. I think it's just as good, but I'm not sure it's any better calorie-wise. Lots of Montreal poutine shops also offer various gravy alternatives, but why mess with a good thing? :wink:

Enjoy!
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Get potatoes (or yam/butternut squash/kabacha squash) and cut into fries - season them up and bake them off til crispy (or you can buy low calorie frozen fries). Top with Squeaker Cheese curds (or a low fat grated cheese mix), then make your gravy with the Brown's Gravy Mix. It is in the dry mix packets. I am sure the sodium is horrible, but it makes a great tasting, salty low fat gravy to top it all off with. Then Enjoy!!!!! It's still not super low - but it will be a heck of a lot better than the restaurant version!
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    IN for poutine! YUM. Try having a family member who works for Smoke's Poutinerie!!! I basically have to avoid my brother! :laugh:

I will have to try making it at home one day with some lighter ingredients.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    IN for poutine! YUM. Try having a family member who works for Smoke's Poutinerie!!! I basically have to avoid my brother! :laugh:

I will have to try making it at home one day with some lighter ingredients.

Lol I would be smelling him all the time ;)
  • Dan_Druff
    Dan_Druff Posts: 104
    Options
    Try substituting the cheese curds with cauliflower, the gravy with a low cal dressing and the fries with lettuce.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Oh man.....poutine is worth every single sinful calorie....:love:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Try substituting the cheese curds with cauliflower, the gravy with a low cal dressing and the fries with lettuce.

+1
  • LyneLM
    LyneLM Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am from Montreal, where poutine has been around for quite a while.

For the last few years, my take on a ealthier version of this ultimate decadent meal is:

- steamed yellow or green beans
    - cut up cooked chicken (if you have any, otherwise omit)
    - pizza cheese blend (low fat mozzarella and cheddar)
    - gravy

Seriously, even my kids love it.
  • TheBunnyStrange
    TheBunnyStrange Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i would just make it the normal way and eat half the amount and make my boyfriend eat the rest lol
  • Annie81503
    Annie81503 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    French Canadian living in Colorado now salivating....dang you why did you bring up the word poutine!