New at MFP I feel postive this time around!

Options
Hi I am new here, but certainly not new at dieting, I have probably tried them all short of surgery and if I had insurance to cover it I’d have tried that too! One of my daughters recommended this site to me she loves this site she is my motivation she has lost 61 lbs. and dealt with the down UP down UP, UP, oh wait down, down, down, she has 20 lbs. left to lose, never gave up and looks great! (wish she lived closer)

So I came, checked it out and love it! I am using the ‘normal food diet’, or with few modifications the ‘normal’ foods. I will use sandwich thins (hey it has a top and bottom looks like a ‘real’ sandwich) Fat Free salad dressings (super low calories) add a salad for more nutrition, low calories and help fill you up, things like that but to me being able to make a lifestyle change was the key - there will always be foods I cannot have or need to keep very limited, even when I reach goal I will not have huge increase in calories so this needs to be a reality to fit into life.

Last year I got a new Dr. first he asked me how long I had been this fat (seriously) and he said go on Atkins® (expensive) and exercise, or make an appointment with the undertaker (yikes) so I went crazy with it… ended up with a rip in my heart and now that I have gotten stronger again and gained back all I lost plus 5! I did my homework and here we go! Today is day 5 for me, I gained about 4 lbs the first day (whoa), but now I’m under my starting weight by about a lb. so we will see.

I am almost 56 years young and a diabetic (4/07) and that sugar number has been going down this week (yippy) my workouts are limited but can’t be helped I have limitations, I survived a surgery on my brain (12/04) and extensive hospital stays for a ruptured brain aneurysm, (with complications) I walk when they said I’d never again, I can think fairly normally LOL where they said I’d need to be in an institution for full care. I had double bypass (3/06) quit smoking and gained 70 lbs. so now I’m at the point of needing to lose 100 lbs. But all in all I have a lot to be thankful for, my health is very good actually now, if I lose weight I will be able to see my great-grandchildren  I am an honors college student. I am feeling real positive this time about this road to getting healthy.

Replies

• harlylena
    harlylena Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Good for you (and your daughter)! I admire your strength in getting through the healing of the ruptured aneurysm (I just had mine clipped in Sept but no rupture). I'm sure that same strength will get you to your goals. As you know through healing it's all about one step at a time.
  • kingtony
    Options
    Good deal! Never give up and never surrender.
  • yomtol
    yomtol Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good Luck to you , you can do this !!! Add me as a friend if you need support. :smile:
  • mcsweetly
    mcsweetly Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I too have been through a lot in my life (only in my 30's) with brain surgery multiple times and a tumor, but also determined to stay positive and get healthy! I wish you the best of luck! Look at all you have been through! If you can survive all that you definitely do this!

Best of Luck!
  • Krikit34
    Krikit34 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hello, I joined a couple of weeks ago. I can relate to seeing a new dr. I saw a new one yesterday and her wide eyes of unbelief as we discussed my weight and health said it all. I'm glad to have a new dr. who will be compassionate, honest, and helpful!
  • jetmints
    jetmints Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Well done for making the decision to start again, you are an inspiration and living proof that it is never too late! I also have 100lb to lose well 116 really to reach my ideal weight! I am 52 and have tried soooo many diets over the years from liquid to ADD neither of which worked for me. So I have decided to listen to the experts who say a healthy calorie controlled diet is the only sensible option around..... makes sense really eat a healthy well balanced diet (oops soz, said the forbidden 'D' word again!!!! lol) and use more calories than eaten!!
  • swsays
    swsays Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Good for you! For me, it is all one step at a time and thinking in terms of lifestyle not a temporary diet. I just started on MFP with the new year. So far it has been really helpful in my efforts to eat more mindfully. Keep it up!