No more ice cream?? And TMI...

I haven't had ice cream in a long time. I don't think I eat a lot of dairy products, when I have milk it's almond milk. I do use milk to make the mashed potatoes in a box (I know they're not the best, but hey, I work full time, am in my last semester of law school, and have 3 kids - I need to put that caveat in there in case anyone decides to pick on my diet). I do have no fat cottage and no fat cream cheese pretty much daily.

Anyways... at the end of the day yesterday, I had a bunch of calories left over, and a half gallon of pumpkin pie ice cream in the freezer...... so I had 3 servings. Almost immediately after I had a feeling like indigestion (I never have that, so I'm not exactly sure what it feels like). And today I've had diarrhea all day. My stomach isn't cramping that bad, I just have to stay close to the bathroom :/ Should I avoid ice cream?? That damn half gallon is calling my name. Or maybe just not 3 servings of it? Honestly, 3 servings in the bowl did not look like that much, compared to seeing what others eat when they have ice cream :)

ETA I'm very "regular" so this is out of the ordinary...

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    You can lose the ability to digest a lot of lactose if your dairy consumption is low. It sounds like yours has been for some time, so your body probably wasn't able to make enough enzyme to digest the lactose in 3 servings of ice cream and you're experiencing symptoms of lactose intolerance.
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    You can lose the ability to digest a lot of lactose if your dairy consumption is low. It sounds like yours has been for some time, so your body probably wasn't able to make enough enzyme to digest the lactose in 3 servings of ice cream and you're experiencing symptoms of lactose intolerance.

Huh. I had no idea. Maybe I'll try one serving tomorrow...
    Do you know about the no fat dairy products I'm eating? Do those have less lactose since they have no fat?
  • Mojoman02
    Mojoman02 Posts: 146 Member
    Is it Regular ice cream, or diet? Some diet foods contain Inulin...I cannot digest that stuff at all! Just a thought....
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member

Do you know about the no fat dairy products I'm eating? Do those have less lactose since they have no fat?

lactose is a sugar, low fat dairy still contains lactose. If you didn't use to be lactose intolerant, try gradually increasing the amount of dairy you eat bit by bit.
  • sarah2954
    Is it Regular ice cream, or diet? Some diet foods contain Inulin...I cannot digest that stuff at all! Just a thought....

Oh it's regular :)
  • sarah2954

lactose is a sugar, low fat dairy still contains lactose. If you didn't use to be lactose intolerant, try gradually increasing the amount of dairy you eat bit by bit.

Good to know. I'm good with eating the small amount of dairy I currently eat, I don't want to increase it. But now I know to be cautious when indulging in a dairy product! Thanks :)
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Yip! It's your body's way of preserving energy. If you don't consume lactose for a period of time, your body will stop producing B-galactosidase (the cause of lactose intolerance) but as you've been able to produce it before I imagine introducing small amounts into your diet should start you off again.
  • Dugleik
    Dugleik Posts: 125
    Or, if you're not interested in dairy there is always sorbet.
  • I_see_skinny_Me15
    I_see_skinny_Me15 Posts: 22 Member
    Scientifically speaking, the general adult population that CAN digest lactose is truly the population with a genetic mutation. The human body is geared to stop digesting lactose after the onset of puberty. It is perfectly normal.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    That happens to me too if I go for awhile not eating dairy and all of sudden load my belly up with dairy products