Daily sugar intake?

Options
Does anyone else often go over their daily recommended amount? I seem to go over in sugar every day, based on what MFP gave me. I don't feel like I eat things with *that* much sugar in them, though. 25g doesn't seem like that much. Any ideas or thoughts?

Replies

• I also go over, I try to make sure I eat the good sugar. In a med gala apple there Is 16g of sugar, thats more then half that you can have a day. I would not worry with It as long as your eating the right sugar, and your still loosing weight.
  • bopper
    bopper Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Same here. I really try and watch how much sugar is in the foods I eat and I don' t add it to anything. I am also staying away from white flour. If you eat yogurt watch which brands you eat, loaded with sugar.
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I go over every day too. I almost always drink two cups of coffee in the morning with sugar and skim milk, so right there - I'm almost over. then if I eat anything at all that has any sugar - I am definitely over. I don't really worry about it, though, because I am eating way less sugar than I ever have and I am losing weight and inches - so all is good on my end.

Vickie
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Fruit is the killer!! it contains ALOT of sugar! But its the type of sugar our body needs and can break down easily... :smooched:

Instead of sugar I would recommend tracking:

Calories
    Carbs
    Fat
    Protein
    Fiber
    Sodium

If you go over protein or fiber i wouldnt worry...They are good for you.:blushing:

But try and def keep sodium fat and carbs under their quota for the day... This will be hard on days when you do a bit of exercise and are trying to eat back your calories.:smooched:

:drinker: Im not claiming I know whats best, only whats working well for me... im no doctor! hehehe :flowerforyou:
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'm probably over on sugar most days too. I changed my journal settings to track:

Calories
    Fat
    Calcium
    Fiber
    Iron
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I always do too.....but I'm insulin resistant so I should be following a more diabetic diet than I am. I have been under once or twice, but it's the fruit that's the killer. Fructose (fruit sugar) is easier for our bodies to process than sucrose, but still gives the body that blood sugar high which can lead to cravings and energy lulls so as much as it's better, it's still not good.

I limit my fruit to one a day max and dairy (lactose, same deal) to cream/milk in my coffee and a yogurt a day. Beyond that I really try and stay away from "sweet" things. If I can't I pair them with something that's got lots of protein so that I don't feel hungry. This is going to sound weird, but I had to have some dark chocolate today (which is not terrible for you) but to help with the blood sugar and cravings, I also had a piece of cheese....LOL gross, but it'll do the trick. Looking back, I probably could have put a tsp. of peanut butter on top...Yum!

If you dont have issues with sugar, I say go for the fruit and dairy (two of the biggest sugar containers) but if you have a legitimate concern about sugars in general - watch them. Get your 5 - 10 fruit and vegetables through the vegetables (I have 1 fruit for every 4 vegetables). Although with some veggies, you have to watch the sugar too.
  • tishonamarie
    tishonamarie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I always go over too!!! I was even planning on posting about it. I'm like you, all my sugars are "good" sugars. The yogurt I eat sometimes has 27g!!! I'm going to have to switch :-/ which is sad, because I'm not really even a yogurt fan! I'm planning on tracking other things instead of sugar. Good luck!
  • ecp2698
    ecp2698 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am not too concerned about it, I don't think it affects my weight loss, was just curious what everyone else had been experiencing.