running shoes for high arches...

Squash97
Squash97 Posts: 84
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Does anyone know what is a good running shoe for someone with high arches. If I don't have good support, then I pull my arches and it's painful... Thanks!

Replies

• i like ryka shoes i have small feet and high arches so they have worked well for me
  • SFC_East
    SFC_East Posts: 10 Member
    I also have high arches among other lower extremity issues due to 20 years in the army. I have found that Adidas has the better selection of shoes for my condition.
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    I have high arches coupled with very, very narrow feet. I have worn New Balance 1063/1064 (every so often they re-style & up the #) in narrow for many years. Although I do take out the insole & replace it w/one with even more arch support.
  • ldkalleck
    ldkalleck Posts: 10 Member
    If you go to the Nike website, you can get shoes suggested based on your arches, type of terrain you run on, and your stride.
  • I have experienced cramped arches ever since H.S. (that's over 20 yrs) depending on the shoes I was wearing. All had to do with support as you mention.

I went to the Good Feet Store and was fitted for arch supports. They are expensive, but if you get the Lifetime Guarantee ones, you will pay for them in 2.5 years (I found I had to get my supports replaced annually because they gradually broke down from all that weight, as you'd expect). If you get the Lifetime Guarantee ones, then instead of paying $150/yr for them, you'll pay $250 for the supports and then they will replace them FREE as they wear out. :)

Editing to add: These supports are all in-stock. They take weight impressions of each foot and then pull the appropriately-sized support for each foot, and you try them out right then & there. This isn't anything that they have to send out for, or custom-order, or have custom made. ##

Since getting Good Feet supports, I have had NO cramping or other problems w/ my feet. My knees feel less stressed, too.

At home, when I'm just knocking around the house, I wear Birkies. I don't get any pain or cramping from them, either. You can get Birkies at a good price from QVC. ;)

If you have a Kohl's near you, try their shoe section. You can pull the liners out of the shoes and put your custom supports in. They carry a decent array of the popular brands (Reebok, Nike, Asics, Avia, +++), and they always have a sale going.

My feet "like" Asics -- and not all models, just a couple really specific ones. ;) But it's going to be a totally individual thing with your feet. Once you have the orthotics/supports that your arches need, shoe shopping will be a LOT easier. You'll know right away if a shoe works or doesn't.

Good luck!!

:) Karin
  • I would recommend going to a running shop that does gait analysis - they put you on a treadmill and analyse how you run to find out which shoes suit you... then you can try a few on, and either buy them there or make a note of the makes/ models and find them cheaper online when you get home ;-)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    I would recommend going to a running shop that does gait analysis - they put you on a treadmill and analyse how you run to find out which shoes suit you... then you can try a few on, and either buy them there or make a note of the makes/ models and find them cheaper online when you get home ;-)

I thought doing this would be way more money, but my shoes where around 70 bux. Tell them your not looking for the most recent, fashionable pair of shoes......

The running shop I went to had me jog around the parking lot and watched my gait before they would allow me to purchase the shoes. Best time and money I have spent on my health
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    i swear by Asics. i have extremely high arches and narrow feet. i also had to start getting custom orthodics once i had a bout with plantar fasciitis.
This discussion has been closed.