Replies

• Fit2Strip
    Fit2Strip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    ethiopiani2.gif
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I don't have any problem with GMOs. I do think it would be nice if they were labelled with what the genetic modification was for though.
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Man has been creating his own GMO crops since he sat down in one spot and started farming.
    The entire farming approach is man specifically breeding or growing what he wants from animals and plants. Just because it's done in a lab it isn't any different.
  • onionheaddave1
    Options
    To much to type here about the problems of GMO. But you might want to start here.
    http://fightagainstgmos.com/
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I want to rant so hard...but i will refrain.

In for reading.
  • wndrwmn86
    wndrwmn86 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    A. Plants evolve over time...corn definitely did not have as much "meat" on it several hundred years ago. Native Americans planted seeds from corn that had higher yeilds thereby suppling their tribe with more food. After some time, the orginal corn that maybe only consisted of 10-20 kernels was no longer in existence. GMOs just speed up the process..

B. One poster mentioned being worried about BT being present in the plant tissue and being passed on to humans. BT or bacillus thuringensis is a bacteria that is completely harmless to humans. It is used for control of worms or mosquito larvae depending on the particular strain. It works by breaking down the stomach lining of these organisms so they no longer consume your plant and will die eventually. It is used even in organic farming practices.

C. Companies should be responsible for their practices and the FDA certainly holds these companies that produce food or products that enter our food to the upmost scrutiny.

D. Round Up- aka Glyphosate is a neutral compound once it reaches the ground. It does not affect other crops by residue left in the ground. GMO's in corn and wheat help to make the plants more resistant to the chemical because when you have lots of weeds you get lots of insects, lots of insects, lots of potential plant diseases, end result being huge losses of crop and of course food for us. Therefore killing weeds is in fact one way to help prevent having to spray tons of insecticide which are the actual scary compounds.

*edited to add* I do think it is everyone's choice as to what the put in their own body, so if you choose it then props to you. Just don't push it on me. Sorry for the rant, I know that the fear that is associated with GMO's is putting a lot of hard working farmers in some bad places now.