Snacks with Calcium

JEG0505
JEG0505 Posts: 5 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
Hi, I just joined and hope to shed some pounds! I want to track my calcium, especially since I am a female in my early 30s with osteoporosis in my family. Do any of you have suggestions for snacks with calcium beyond yogurt, low fat cheese, fat/sugar free pudding, etc? Thanks!

Replies

• tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    hmm broccoli? You can buy calcium rich veggie dips too. I know you already mentioned yogurt but you could make a smoothie with the yogurt, milk and berries. Liven up your calcium intake. Hope that helps :smile:
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    I'm not big on the idea of supplements, but I've heard over and over that it's a good idea for women to be taking a calcium supplement. For myself, I take a good quality multi-vitamin.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Almonds - and other foods like halibut, salmon, spinich and kale (making a come back). Of course, I love my low-fat string cheese.
  • OJ
  • Green veggies like bok choy, turnip greens, Chinese cabbage, and kale. The traditional soul food favorites, collard and turnip greens, offer a lot of calcium, too. One cup of chopped, cooked turnip greens has about 200 milligrams of calcium. sardines are also another good source. Also try looking for a good calium rich cold cereal for breakfast, some of them have as much as 1,000 mg of calcium in them. I don't know if you like or will like it, but you can try soy milk and soy foods, like tofu!
    HTH,
    Jenn
  • JEG0505
    JEG0505 Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you all for your suggestions!! :-)
This discussion has been closed.