exercise bike: cardio vs. resistance

Options
Hello!
I use my exercise bike 2-3 times a week. I am trying to make my time on the bike count (I spend about 25-30 minutes on the bike each time.)
My question is this: what is more important (and healthier)--peddling as fast as possible on the bike (and therefore increasing my heart rate); or putting the "level" up on 3 or 4 (or whatever)?
I currently have the resistance level on 0. If I put it on 3 (or higher) it makes it more difficult to pedal--presumably increasing muscle mass.
I just want to stay healthy. What is the best way to do that--given the above options?
Thank you!

Replies

• seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Mix it all up and do a verity of different exercises/moves/speeds/resistance/ etc.
  • handyandy9x
    handyandy9x Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    On the bike I am using has a calorie burn programme which varies the resistance and therefore the intensity of the workout. Sitting all that time on a low resistance would do my head in.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters - try one of the pre-set 'programs' which varies the resistance......makes your exercise time a bit more interesting than if you did all 30 minutes at one level of resistance.

I love exercise bikes - get to catch up on your reading while exercising!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    If your bike doesn't have programs, just look up interval training programs on the internet.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    whatever gets your heart rate where it needs to be..

I have to put the eliptical at level 10-13 and move 9-10 mph to break 160 these days. It takes both sometimes.
  • Summer5555
    Summer5555 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I mix it up on the bike, my favourite at the moment is every 30 seconds increase the resistance keeping the pedal speed about the same. As soon as your speed drops because resistance gets quite hard, back off and take a break before repeating.
  • librarian11111
    librarian11111 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses!
    I just wanted to add one very important detail--by exercising, I'm trying to prevent Type 2 diabetes--and if possible, lose weight at the same time.
    Thanks!
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Increasing resistance is never a bad thing, even if you have to slow down your pedaling speed a bit. Good to mix things up - once in a while low resistance with a faster pedaling pace, and other times heavy resistance. I follow this principle on basically every cardio type move I do.