I'm going insane.

Options
My diary should be open so you can see what I've done today. I've only been doing it a week and the first couple of days I didn't enter the exercises. I'm trying to cut some weight and keep or even add some muscle. According to MFP I still need to consume 1100 calories but only have 11 grams of fat to play with. How in the world is that supposed to happen? I've been told to eat some nuts a whole dairy products but that's adding fat and I've almost run out. Shooting for a 40/40/20 mix but I just don't see how in the world I'm supposed to do it. I'm not hungry with what I'm eating and completely full. Maybe look for a high calorie protein shake? I'm really at my wits end.

Also about all I drink is water and the protein powders. Ideas on drinking calories without packing on carbs?

I still can't believe I need as many calories as it says I does and feel the exercise count is high even thought its done with a HRM.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    It's more important to hit your calorie goal than your fat goal. Protein is of course the most important, but fat is a macro that's more flexible.

Eat the calories first and foremost. Worry about your macros once you've gotten your caloric intake under control.
  • popo312
    popo312 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It's more important to hit your calorie goal than your fat goal. Protein is of course the most important, but fat is a macro that's more flexible.

Eat the calories first and foremost. Worry about your macros once you've gotten your caloric intake under control.

It seems I'll hit 100 grams of fat or a boat load of carbs to hit my calorie intake. That can't be good either. I'm so confused. I did come close to my calorie goal yesterday without going completely nuts in the other categories with six shots of vodka but that's not exactly a long term solution lol.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

For me the score is Protein, Calories, Fat, Carb - fat is important but because I do a lot of training protein is more so.
  • popo312
    Options
    I guess I just need some ideas to hit my calorie goal without driving my fat absolutely insane, I mean, I am running 1,000 calories short a day. I've got to do something. (but yet in a week I haven't lost a pound but that is likely water retention due to the creatine)
  • Surfdancer777
    Surfdancer777 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration!

3 quick points:

1) From a glance at your food intake today, it is lacking in enough servings of fresh fruits and veggies.

Adding 2-3 more servings of each would give you more calories, albeit only a few hudred, without adding any more fat calories.

I think people can put too much stock in calories/macro nutrients without considering the actual quality of the calories they're consuming. For example- 2 slices of Walmart "enriched" white bread isn't doing much for your body bro, although you prob enjoy the taste/texture- your body could benefit so much more from having a serving of oven-roasted sweet potato or small serving of black beans for about the same caloric investment. The nutritional return of sweet potato or black beans is much higher and in a natural-occuring state, even compared to the "enriched" white processed bread.

2) Be careful about overestimation of calories burned. I have noticed the caloric expenditure on this exercise tool of this site to overestimate many activities. My HRM shows much lower and I go closer to that.

3) I think it's important not to put too much stock into these food/exercise calculators to the point of denying our own body's signals.
    If you're not hungry. Don't force your body to eat. You may have been chronically under-eating for a long time- if that's the case-it takes slow, gradual ramping up of calories to transition out of that successfully. Personalized care from a qualified holistic RD may be of help here, if even for 1 or 2 sessions.

Yesterday, because i did lot of exercise, I was supposed to consume 2345 calories. I only made it to 1700 and that was a lil uncomfortable. I'm not gonna stuff myself if my body's telling me she's full.

Hope some of this is helpful.

Peace
  • popo312
    Options
    I feel your frustration!

3 quick points:

1) From a glance at your food intake today, it is lacking in enough servings of fresh fruits and veggies.

Adding 2-3 more servings of each would give you more calories, albeit only a few hudred, without adding any more fat calories.

2) Be careful about overestimation of calories burned. I have noticed the caloric expenditure on this exercise tools of this site to overestimate many activities. My HRM shows much lower and I go closer to that.

3) I think it's important not to put too much stock into these food/exercise calculators to the point of denying our own body's signals.
    If you're not hungry. Don't force your body to eat. You may have been chronically underrating for a long time- it takes slow, gradual ramping up of calories to transition out of that successfully if that's the case. Personalize care from a qualified holistic RD may be in order if that's the case.

Yesterday, because i did lot of exercise, I was supposed to consume 2345 calories. I only made it to 1700 and that was a lil uncomfortable. I'm not gonna stuff myself if my body's telling me she's full.

Hope this helps.

Peace

1. Certainly doable. I've bought some just haven't integrated them much yet other than salads with dinner.
    2. That is with a HRM. I'm using a Polar H7 connected with a Digitfit that shoots the results directly to MFP. It seems high but I have input my height and weight correctly.
    3. I certainly haven't been underrating. This is a drastic change for me. Before would be oatmeal for breakfast, fast food for lunch (and not the healthy kind) and I'd cook dinner which could be hamburgers, fries, macaroni and cheese, steaks. i.e. I wasn't eating a low calorie diet. Night shift lunch was usually Huddle House. I've just got to the point the waste line has expanded to much and need to get it down. Trying to eat healthy while getting the calories it says I needs is driving me up the wall.
  • alt1268
    alt1268 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I find that mfp is not as accurate as people would like it to be. Please research TDEE in the Community boards and one of the easiest websites to calculate your tdee is "scooby tdee." this will give you a better understanding of what excatly your diet should look like.

Hope this helps.
  • Surfdancer777
    Options
    Well then, in that context, you've certainly made a lot of improvements in the quality of your food, so congratulations!!!

Adding in salads with dinner is a great first step- just keep building from there in more servings of fruits and veggies when you can.
    Keep them around in fridge- washed and ready to eat-take some to go for work or when running errands.

Baby steps. Keep refining your choices, trying to choose more whole unprocessed foods whenever possible.

Making your own nutritious food gets easier over time and as you develop short cuts for yourself.

Hang in there- doing great!!!
  • popo312
    Options
    find that mfp is not as accurate as people would like it to be. Please research TDEE in the Community boards and one of the easiest websites to calculate your tdee is "scooby tdee." this will give you a better understanding of what excatly your diet should look like.

Hope this helps.

They say it's 2313 at the scooby site. Set it to gain muscle/lose weight option. To get it to the 1780 recommended here I have to do the 25% reduction in calorie option.
    Well then, in that context, you've certainly made a lot of improvements in the quality of your food, so congratulations!!!

Adding in salads with dinner is a great first step- just keep building from there in more servings of fruits and veggies when you can.
    Keep them around in fridge- washed and ready to eat-take some to go for work or when running errands.

Baby steps. Keep refining your choices, trying to choose more whole unprocessed foods whenever possible.

Making your own nutritious food gets easier over time and as you develop short cuts for yourself.

Hang in there- doing great!!!

I've been eating healthy foods and it's making me full and not hungry to eat more calories. Guess I can try to graze all day on fruits and stuff.

End of week one and not a budge in my belly even with this massive calorie deficit is a little head scratching though.
  • Surfdancer777
    Options
    I also use a Polar H7. It's not always consistent- is yours?

Running up a serious incline yesterday and it read 89 for the longest time!! Still, I'd rather is underestimate than overestimate my caloric expenditure. Later, on the same run, I was down by the beach, flat ground and it shot up to 210 :). Prob interference although
    that model's supposed to preclude cross interference I believe.
    My RHR is 35, so there's no way I ever get close to a 210 reading from exertion.

I guess Bottom line on HRM or any device, don't take as gospel truth- but I believe it's usually
    more accurate than the exercise tool on MFP.

What is "healthy" for each person depends on their medical history, food sensitivities and many
    other factors. You'll have to learn what's healthy for you, Noshing on fruits and "stuff" all day
    isn't necessary- just get a couple more servings in.

At the end you mentioned creatine. Creatine supplementation can retain lots of water- you didn't
    mention when you started or stopped taking it or how much- but you can expect to
    see water weight gain from adding it into your diet. IMHO,creatine is a waste of money and only
    camouflaging any weight loss you may have reached.
  • popo312
    Options
    I also use a Polar H7. It's not always consistent- is yours?

Running up a serious incline yesterday and it read 89 for the longest time!! Still, I'd rather is underestimate than overestimate my caloric expenditure. Later, on the same run, I was down by the beach, flat ground and it shot up to 210 :). Prob interference although
    that model's supposed to preclude cross interference I believe.
    My RHR is 35, so there's no way I ever get close to a 210 reading from exertion.

I guess Bottom line on HRM or any device, don't take as gospel truth- but I believe it's usually
    more accurate than the exercise tool on MFP.

What is "healthy" for each person depends on their medical history, food sensitivities and many
    other factors. You'll have to learn what's healthy for you, Noshing on fruits and "stuff" all day
    isn't necessary- just get a couple more servings in.

At the end you mentioned creatine. Creatine supplementation can retain lots of water- you didn't
    mention when you started or stopped taking it or how much- but you can expect to
    see water weight gain from adding it into your diet. IMHO,creatine is a waste of money and only
    camouflaging any weight loss you may have reached.

The HRM is pretty solid. As long as I have good water contact, if the contacts are dry it is all over the place. Stays in the 170s pretty much my whole workout. With my max of 189 that seems about right where I should be.

I know creating is controversial. I did the even more controversial loading and realize that I've retained a lot of water weight. Right now I'm only really looking at one thing, measurement of the belt line which hasn't change. I started the 5mg stabilization phase today.