Staying Entertained While On Treadmill

Options
During the harsh Iowan winter, I don't find myself running outside much, if at all. I have a treadmill, and that's my main way of exercising other than working out at a gym three times a week.

How do you stay entertained while walking/jogging on a treadmill? I tend to get super bored.

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I entertain myself by moaning how bored I am on the dreadmill, by looking intensely at each darn seconds passing and by wishing I was lifting instead :wink:

Music, movies or tv shows , audiobooks might do the trick :happy:
  • nasska16
    nasska16 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't have a treadmill, but I have a bike trainer for my bike, because I'm clearly not getting to bike outside in this Wisconsin winter. I got some of the wireless headphones for my tv so that I can actually hear what I'm watching over the racket the equipment makes, which helps a lot if you are trying to watch a movie. But, if you are like me, you spend more time watching how many minutes you have left than actually watching a show, so I found a fun new solution that makes me feel more like I'm outdoors...

I got some DVDs off Amazon, Fitness Cycling Journeys, ambient collection. Titles like "Cycle through nature" or "Cycle through Tropical Scenery." They each have several different tracks of varying length that show you traveling down the road or trail at a running/cycling pace including the ambient sounds. I find it great and motivating, because when it shows me going uphill, I'm more likely to click up a few gears on my bike to simulate the climbing experience. There are a TON of running/walking/cycling DVDs available on amazon, but some really suck, so watch out! You can find a lot of them on youtube and check them out before you order them, but I definitely recommend the two I mentioned :)

Happy indoor excerise!
  • lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I find a TV series I've never watched before on Hulu.com or Netflix,
    and take in an episode on my computer screen while working out.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Murder mysteries on audiobook downloaded from the library (on my iPhone).
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I mess around with my speeds.....basically interval training so that every minute something is changing and I tailor it to what I want to train that day....speed, endurance, etc. And great music....that is a must :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I run hard enough that I'm not bored. Focus on breathing and stride.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Masticate!!! You know....chew on gum!!
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I space out and think about weird **** and random what-if scenarios about life
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I run hard enough that I'm not bored. Focus on breathing and stride.
    LOL. I could do a full on sprint and get bored.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Music, Netflix, Youtube, TV, etc...
  • pikutis
    pikutis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I recommend the Zombies, Run! app.
  • dukeoden
    Options
    I cut the tunes on and go into another zone when I'm on the treadmill.
  • tturley
    tturley Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I still run outside even on the cold days but I've learned to value my treadmill time by doing intervals. 2 minutes easy/recovery and 1 minute as hard as you can take. The only thing you think about is how much time you have left on this interval.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Run backwards while eating doughnuts and listening to music
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I read. On my Kindle.
  • bjdw_1977
    bjdw_1977 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I think I might try to learn another language next winter (it's the middle summer down here now). Get some instructional DVDs and watch 'em while I'm on the treadmill. Dunno how the enunciation will go when I'm breathless, but might be interesting anyway.
  • Summersadiva
    Summersadiva Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Music - either my playlist or some station on iHeart radio where I can get distracted by DJs; Netflix/Hulu - a new series I've never seen; or an ebook on my Kindle app.
  • annie61702
    annie61702 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have to have music while on the treadmill or elliptical! Sometimes I read on my iPad, too. I use the time to think about various things. I really don't get bored while doing cardio.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I space out and think about weird **** and random what-if scenarios about life

I actually do this, too.
  • truetarot1988
    truetarot1988 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I listen to Pandora on the ipod. I just fumble through the stations. I'm usually on there for about 15 minutes before I know it, just trying to find something I want to listen to.