Stress, Anxiety and High BP

Options
I have to drop just about 90 pounds. I pretty much stress out over everything and along with weight it is causing high blood pressure and doing damage to my heart. I got my every heart results back for proof of the damage.

So I have started using my indoor rower. Going to add kettlebells, mountain biking in to the mix.

My wife bought a DASH book.

I need to get the stress under control as I even stress myself out while dreaming.

Replies

• MissFluffly
    Options
    Those are all great exercises and I hear great things about the DASH diet. I hope exercising more can help you feel relaxed, stressing out about how well you're controlling your stress is no fun.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Are you also taking your meds?
  • hoecradle
    hoecradle Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have never had to be on BP meds. Everyheart recommended various meds to discuss with my GP. I ditched the meds I was on previous about five years ago.
  • 000Linda000
    000Linda000 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I used to get panic attacks all the time. I'd love to give you advice but I really can't. It's the worst feeling in the world and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. The thing is, everyone one handles it differently and you just have to find what works for you. For me, talking walks and cold showers help a lot.

I really do wish you the best though!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    just start getting your heart rate up.....
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Today is the day to get it all under control. Take it one day at a time, one decision at a time. This is not a bad car crash, you still have time to adjust. My blood pressure goes up from lifting weights, test and tests later, I decided to not worry about it. High blood pressure takes years to develop problems.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Lets fight this, I'm not going on them again either but everytime I'm at the doctors mine is up. At home it's mostly normal or a bit up.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I have never had to be on BP meds. Everyheart recommended various meds to discuss with my GP. I ditched the meds I was on previous about five years ago.

Sounds like a smart move. You know, it's very possible that your hbp isnt related to being overweight.....
  • hoecradle
    Options
    You know, it's very possible that your hbp isnt related to being overweight.....

That is what my wife says. She said I had all the symptoms of stress related high BP. I'm enjoying the rowing workouts so far. I will have to see what the GO scripts me.
  • hoecradle
    Options
    130/80 so I don't need to get on meds yet. Thank goodness. I will continue monitoring my BP and better deal with stress.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. Start with better eating habits, walking more...then keep on building up! I find a nice long walk helps a lot with my anxiety. (I have terrible anxiety as well)
  • hoecradle
    Options
    One day at a time. Start with better eating habits, walking more...then keep on building up! I find a nice long walk helps a lot with my anxiety. (I have terrible anxiety as well)

I'm going to start a solid walking program soon. For now I am hitting the rower consistently.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Fear and Faith cannot live in the same heart.
  • AestheticStar
    AestheticStar Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety as well, & I'm on medication for it. But it definitely doesn't help all the stress I've been facing lately.
    I hope it gets better for you & that you can get it under control. 'Cause stress definitely affects weight loss goals, which is what's so bad about it.