Low Carb and Carb-Free Snack Ideas

Options
Based on my blood work, my doctor recommended restricting my carbs in the evening. That means looking for healthy low or no-carb snack ideas to tide me over. It's a big transition for me because my previous evening go-tos were a small bowl of cereal with almond milk, a slice of bread with peanut butter, or a cereal-type bar. I figure I'll go for the standard stuff, like nuts, cheese sticks, veggies, etc., but I'd love ideas to expand on that a little. Anyone have any healthy and interesting low or no-carb snack suggestions?

Replies

• moniquestifter
    moniquestifter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like soybeans with salt. I buy the frozen kind and eat them out of the bag from the freezer
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    cream cheese wrapped in bacon
    bacon alone is a good snack too

Depending on how low carb you are going, your hunger pangs for snacking might go away. Best of luck!
  • BlubbinBlubber
    BlubbinBlubber Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    carbmaster yogurt is pretty good.. a whole 170 gram container is only 60 calories; 1.5g fat, 4g carbs and 8g protein
  • Tx_Julie_Mango
    Tx_Julie_Mango Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    -lettuce wraps with ground beef, pork , chicken or turkey

-hard boiled eggs

-a Chicken leg, chicken drummets with most of skin removed

-zucchini fritters

- Flax Muffin - http://www.food.com/recipe/one-minute-flax-muffin-low-carb-295649

-Cauliflower 'Popcorn' - small pieces of cauliflower season and roasted

-There are some many things people are doing with cauliflower. I haven't actually made this one but just to give you an idea
    http://dashingdish.com/recipe/mini-cauliflower-pizza-bites/
  • fitformidlife
    Options
    Thanks, these are great! I made up my shopping list, so off to the grocery store to stock up on some good options.
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Cheese!!!!

Sharp cheddar and turkey

Swiss and roast beef

Those are my two favorite snacks of all time and they are carb free/low carb depending on brand of meat you buy and whether it has added sugar.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I like soybeans with salt. I buy the frozen kind and eat them out of the bag from the freezer

I do exactly the same thing! I buy bags of frozen edemame, let them thaw in the fridge, then "salt" them with No Salt potassium and just snack on them right out of the bag.

OP, did your doc say no carbs, or no simple carbs? I can't think of anything I'd define as a snack that has no carbs at all. That would be like having a tablespoon of olive oil for a snack.
  • TNHoneyBBQ
    TNHoneyBBQ Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I do grated cheddar rolled up in slices of deli turkey meat, or a boiled egg. neither of them bother my BG very much.
  • breeshabebe
    Options
    Since I've cut back on sugars and carbs, I don't seem to crave them as much after every meal. I have dark chocolate that I keep at the house and I'll eat one piece with a cheese stick or something as a snack.

Cellucor protien has some pretty awesome flavors- right now I am on Peanut butter Marshmellow... it seriously curbs my sweet tooth when I put it in Almond Milk or Greek Yogurt.

I'll also buy plain greek yogurt and sweeten it with vanilla and truvia.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    fat bombs