Toes going numb on elliptical

Options
2»

Replies

• makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Keisha....great response...I was going to reply with similiar offerings of help...but you said them all!!!

I too, had the toes asleep problem, but over time and with correct form, etc...I have no problems anymore...just did 60 minutes Sunday, at level 12 of 16 for 5.6 miles...I love the elliptical...crank up the tunes and I get lost for a while.
  • A_shelton316
    A_shelton316 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! Thanks for putting it on here! Now when I go to the gym tonight I can try some of it :wink:

Thank you!!
  • nikkishai
    nikkishai Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I get tingly toes on the elliptical too... and it annoys the crap out of me. I tried bigger shoes, nope. I tried loosening my laces, nope. The only thing that works is going backwards for a minute or two every 10 minutes or so. Works like a charm. :happy:
  • oldmthrhubbard74
    Options
    Mine toes go numb too. It the position your feet are throughout the work out. The best thing to do during the work out is rest back on your heels and make them do the work for thirty seconds and work your way up. . . the only problem is if you use your heels throughout the work out you will end up with some wicked charlie horses. . . How ever I would not worry to much about it as long as the feeling comes back right after getting of the Eliptical, however if it stays longer than an hour call your Dr. and ask them. Good luck and KEEP GOING!
  • bikerchicjen
    bikerchicjen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Someone suggested those shoes with the toes in them. I'm thinking of trying as any cardio machine does this to me. Has anyone tried this yet?
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    look up different ways to tie the laces
    I got Birkenstock inserts for my shoes. happy feet feel like they are in my berks ( love my berks)

:love:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Do less cardio and more weight lifting. :tongue:
  • windyrobotham
    windyrobotham Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My elliptical has adjustable incline on the pedals. I found adjusting this helped me go longer before my toes started tingling.
  • KellyR72
    KellyR72 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me as well. I went to a running store to get fitted for new shoes. The salesperson told me that my shoes weren't wide enough. I bought a wider shoe and haven't had an issue since.

Good luck!
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've had that problem with the eliptical also, for me simply focusing on my stride and raising my foot just barely on each step seemed to solve the problem. When I was getting tired I didn't pick my feet up off the peddles (treads or whatever they are actually called) and thats when they would go numb.

This - and also all of what Keisha said.

Your feet go numb because you have constant pressure on them. It's not particularly dangerous, as far as I know, it's just uncomfortable.

So, to alleviate it - relieve the pressure! Sometimes that means going backwards for a bit (the pressure moves to your heel from your toes), sometimes it means better shoes or looser laces - but for me, if I start to feel the numbness, then I just lift my foot off the tread at the top of the stroke, just enough to relieve the pressure, and make it feel more like walking.

Voila, problem solved. :-)