Pregnant - what should I set my calorie goal to?

Options
2»

Replies

• mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

Good idea to track your food etc. I'd say see your doctor for how much to eat and a diet plan, or shop around for a pregnancy diet book and run that by your doc.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Check with your ob/gyn.

Obese: you can get away with maintenance.
    If you are normal weight: add 300 calories per day, Underweight: 500 calories per day.

But check w/ your doc anyway.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned that you can eat more if you are nursing.

Yes. I could eat more than my 220 lb husband. I was starving!
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I never paid attention to calories when I was pregnant. I just tried to eat well and make sure I was getting enough meat, veg, fruit diary etc.
    I'd rather deal with the repercussions of that after the kid was born (hence my current fitness plans) than do anything that could negatively affect the baby in the womb.
  • KiraBaby20
    Options
    Congrats! I am also pregnant. I would defiantly talk to your doctor. My doctor doesn't want me gaining any weight until my 2nd and third trimester. I am considered over weight for bring 5'11 so I am only allowed 10-15LBS this pregnancy. I am 10 weeks as of Superbowl Sunday. If you need support, feel free to add me and keep us posted on what your doctor said! Best wishes!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Your dr is the person to ask.

Actually, her doctor might just tell her to eat "normal" like mine did, whatever that means.

OP, I'd set your calories to maintenance level until the last 3-4 months, and then up it 300-400 calories above maintenance. Worry less about calories and more about your macros and micros. Be sure you get plenty of calcium, protein, and fats. Everything else will fall into place.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I just found out that I'm pregnant, and I want to track my foods to ensure I'm eating a healthy and reasonable diet. Should I edit my goal to "maintaining weight", even though there is no way I will maintain my current weight over the course of the next few months?
    Yes, but speak to your doctor.

Congratulations!
  • KimberlyAnn327
    Options
    Congrats! I have no advice on calories. I just ate whatever while I was pregnant.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You may want to check out this wonderful group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1920-fit-fabulous-pregnant-
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I am very pleased that nearly all of the posters to this thread have recommended asking the doctor. Growing a baby is far too important to entrust to random posters on MFP!

I agree 100% and I dont know why the OP would entrust a public forum on something that is so vital...