Nutritional Yeast

Options
2»

Replies

• DanielleDavids
    DanielleDavids Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    In Canada, the only brand I've found at the grocery store is Bob's Red Mill, but it's a huge bag and it lasts forever. I use it to make "cheezy" dairy-free sauces and I also sprinkle it on eggs, popcorn, veggies, pasta, pizza etc. I use it as a crumb coating too (it makes the best chicken strips!) It has a really distinct taste that is not appealing to everyone, but I personally am a big fan, especially because I can't do dairy. Definitely worth trying! You might love it or you might hate it. ;)
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    At whole foods or mom's organic market you can purchase it in the bulk section for $9.00 a pound. I fill a half of bag up and the most I have paid is $3.00 and I use it on almost everything from soups and stews, home made black bean or lentil burgers, etc. I kept hearing about the nutty cheesey flavor, not sure if I can subscribe to that category, but I like it. I think you should give it a try.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Thanks JayJay I hadn't thought of that. Not really an option on my budget yet but definitely will happen in the future!
  • seattlerain
    seattlerain Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I use it all the time in my cooking.

Baked "potato" soup (made with cauliflower).
    Broccoli cheese soup.
    As a bread crumb for grilled meats.
    Baked kale chips.

I buy mine at Winco in the Bulk Section.
  • caitswan44
    caitswan44 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Love love love nutritional yeast! I rarely eat meat and am lactose intolerant so it helps me out with B vitamins and kinda gives me a cheesy taste substitute. I find that it is best mixed in with scrambled eggs, in tomato soup and on popcorn.