How much does working out actually help?

Options
So I weigh about 109-108kg and started at 115kg about 3 months ago. So I've lost about 6-7kg now out of pure dieting and not really doing much exercise at all but my question is if I start going to the gym lets say 3 times a week how fast will that speed up my process? My Aim is to lose about another 28 kilos or so and reach 80kg by I want to say August but I think that's being a little too optimistic. Any advice? I was going to sign up this week and start doing about 30-45 mins of cardio 3/4 times a week e.g treadmill, rowing, bicycle, swimming whatever and see how that goes for me. I'm 19 and male btw if that makes any difference.

Replies

• missabeez
    missabeez Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    It really depends how many calories you burn and how many of those you eat back. As long as you have a calorie deficit, you will lose and the speed depends on how large that deficit is.

Exercise is helpful because it helps you maintain muscle mass while you are losing. If you don't exercise there is a chance you are losing both fat and muscle so you want to hone in on fat loss. Exercise also increases your metabolism thus making your body more efficient as well.

Hope this is helpful
  • Anthem76
    Anthem76 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    In my opinion...a lot. Yes, losing is a function of calorie deficit (burning more than you eat). And that can be achieved through diet alone. However, the more you move...the more you burn...the greater the calorie deficit. Some people do become so hungry from exercise that they eat more thereby reducing the deficit or even eating at a surplus. I used to exercise first thing in the morning, but it made me hungry all day. I switched my workout time to night and the weight has been melting off. I'm starving when I finish my workout, but I just go to bed. In the morning, the hunger has subsided.

Exercise will also give you a more toned appearance as you lose. If you diet without any exercise, you may be thinner, but still flabby.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it speeds up the process at all since ultimately your calorie deficit determines your weight loss, but it will make you healthier and you will be much happier with the final product (you'll look better) at the end of you exercise.

On the healthier point, just 30 minutes a day of walking can greatly improve health markers, and it acts like an antidepressant and stress relief, actually changing your brain chemistry towards being happier.
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    It's not really about facilitating the process. If you lift weights it will optimize your ratio of body fat loss to lean body mass loss while providing the additional health benefits that come with stronger muscles.
  • Sky_Of_Aegis
    Options
    Exercise can make a big difference. Cardio is great, but a little bit of strength here and there can do wonders. It is said that you do gain weight with muscle since it does weigh more than fat, but at the same time, the more muscle you have, the easier it is to lose the weight. You are very fortunate to have youth on your side as well. 10 years ago, I weighed nearly a hundred lbs less than I do now, and was very fit. I recommend that once you achieve your weight goal, maintain it! Even at 27, I have a hard time keeping it off and as you age it doesn't get any easier.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for fitness and health. You can also do it to burn more calories and raise your metabolic rate. You don't need it for weight loss, but losing weight by diet alone usually just leaves the individual with just a physical smaller version of themselves along with the "soft" muscle tissue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    This is just my opinion, from my experience is that there are three things to reshape your body: diet, rest, exercise. In that order! All three are important, but technically exercise is the least important of the three. It's also where you should be spending the least amount of your time.

Sounds like you have your diet undercontrol, that's the most important thing, I think it's where you'll see the most improvement. Rest and recovery is something that you have to get a handle on too. Look at this way, if you go and start overtraining without proper rest, you'll actually set yourself back and lose muscle. And what they say about not being able to out train a poor diet is absolutely true. Your diet has to be in line otherwise working out will be fairly worthless.

But if you can do all three pretty well, and you understand what the different choices you make will do to your body, then you have the capability to reshape herself in any way you choose. There is synergy between all three. It will take time, but what you want to do is develop the experience and knowledge to understand the choices you make and how to ask the right questions of yourself.
  • smand2000
    Options
    Exercise is the pychological glue that holds my diet in check. Once I slack on the workouts, my food choices slip. It is somehow easier to work towards building a better body / lifestyle than it is to just restrict calories for weight loss ...
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    It has helped me a LOT. I burn enough calories with my workout routine that I can more or less eat what I want and still lose weight.