realistically how much weight can someone lose in 5 months?

Options
Hi there! I'm just kinda curious on hearing opinions on how much weight someone could lose in 5 months if they are eating 1,770 cals per day and work out 4 times a week?

Approx 5'2 and 199?

I know everyones answers are going to be different I'm just curious to hear what people have to say!

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 0-40 or so pounds, give or take. Cause holy lack of information batman.

How much of a deficit is 1700 for that person? Are they eating exercise calories back? If yes how much are they eating back? How much do they burn when working out? Medical conditions?
  • Flyer69
    Flyer69 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    That is so different from everyone, you also don't mention how long the workouts will be, but a quick guess would be 10lb, 5 kg.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I think I saw somewhere that you can lose 4% of your body weight per month healthily.
  • mteague277
    mteague277 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Realistically I would aim for 25 lbs. That is 5 lbs a month, it will seem slow but it is all about little permanent changes. If you do anything too drastically you have a higher chance of gaining everything back. I think it is a healthy, do-able goal.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go with 10-15 lbs, depending on how intense the workouts are and how much of the exercise calories you're eating back.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    20 lbs
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    I think I saw somewhere that you can lose 4% of your body weight per month healthily.

I thought this was supposed to be based on the OP's 1770 daily calorie intake (although OP isn't clear on whether that's net or not). Unlikely at her height and weight that her TDEE is high enough that she'll be losing 4% of her body weight a month on 1770, even if it's not net.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Pick the number you think is realistic and then cut it to a third. Because that's what you actually end up doing. Real weight-loss for most people is slow and difficult and fraught with failure, so go in knowing that and you'll do fine.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    For me, 25 pounds.
  • crnacrn07
    crnacrn07 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    When I started to try and lose weight after my back surgery, I was 199 5'5". I worked in a busy ER 3-12hr shifts a week and counted that as my exercise while tracking my calories. I lost 30 pounds in 4 months. I didn't exercise on my days off and counted my work as 45-60 mins of exercise those three days. My calorie intake dropped to 1400ish when I got down to 170. Unforunately, I took a supervisor position, work days and nights in the same week and have gained 8 of those pounds back in 3 months :(
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    5ft here. lost 12 pounds in 4mths.
  • patyeomans
    patyeomans Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    two years ago I lost 35 lbs. in four months, eating healthy-not counting calories and swimming or using the elliptical 30 minutes four days a week.
  • Little_Miss_Metal
    Options
    It will also depend on how big you are to start with, i find bigger people loose weight a lot faster
    Obviously that will slow down and even itself out eventually.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options

I thought this was supposed to be based on the OP's 1770 daily calorie intake (although OP isn't clear on whether that's net or not). Unlikely at her height and weight that her TDEE is high enough that she'll be losing 4% of her body weight a month on 1770, even if it's not net.

She can base how much she is meant to be eating and how much to exercise by the 4% per month weight lose. I think mine is around 4.4 lb - 5.5 lb per month and I was at 160.4 lb at the time doing it I believe which made it easy for me since it was basically a 500 calorie deficit which is the stranded. Obviously that would be different for her if she is bigger or smaller.

Realistically, I would say about 22 pounds.