1st time at gym

Options
2»

Replies

• lawsey68
    Options
    get a personal trainer to guide you round for a week or two ... DONT over do it first out start easy- build up!
  • Annadriel
    Annadriel Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Tnx to all, to have some nice words is really helpful. That woman called me yday night and told me they will solve it out. So I have an appointment "again" for todays afternoon. Hope all goes well this time.

Yesterday I did on my own some cardio (which I dont want to do there, since I am doing it at home already) and some forward and back butterflies and that thing when u open and close legs and the thing where u kind of "kick back" leg. I did it with 15kg (didnt know what to start with). Arms are a little sore today, but just a little (I did 5x 10 butterflies front and 5x 10 back). And 5x 10 legs (open close) and 3x10 kick back all with 15kg. Legs did hurt a lot like 1-2h after workout, which i found weird. When i did cardio, it always started to hurt next or even after next day. I was already preparing to walk funny way today :P. But today legs almost dont hurt at all. Its all new and a bit weird for me, hehe.

Tnx to all again for tips and moral help.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    This is probably going to be horribly offensive advice, but it should work. If you don't have a trainer, or forget what they say, or they are rushing through things because they want to go play back online or whatever, here is what I do.

Park yourself on a nice elliptical cardio machine (you just start pedaling and it turns itself on when you pedal, I remember asking the employee how to turn it on, and they said "Pedal!" I felt dumb) and watch what other people do.

Look for people your size or slightly bigger, and watch how they get on and move the machine. Watch how they adjust the weight. Then go copy what they did!

You'll get your groove of moving up weights and reps at your own pace, but just going through the motions with a little weight the first day will kick your booty anyways.

I still roll the way my very first gym taught me: every visit do cardio and abs, rotate legs and arms every other visit.

I would recommend to do the cardio and abs, and then try out either arms or legs, not both at once.

Good luck woman!
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Tomorrow it will be my first time at gym. I am quite nervous and a bit scared of all that "machines" and the fact I will probably not even know how to use them... Also I heard stories that weight lifting ruins your joints and back and so on... So how do I even know what is it ok and what not? And how and when to increase weights? And how to avoid being complete idiot?

I'm not an expert on the history of weight lifting and working out, but I am pretty sure nobody has just walked into a gym and knew exactly what to do, unless they did their research ahead of time. Everyone has to start somehwere. Your gym should hopefully have an orientation to get you familiar with the equipment. If not, there are so many resources online. YouTube, Bodybuilding.com, etc..

The big key to take away from this is this: It's normal to be nervous but don't worry about the others in the gym. You're doing this for YOU, not them. So if you're afraid you may be making a fool of yourself or whatever, keep plugging away.

As for ruining the joints and the back, this is a true statement if you're using bad form. So get the form down and good luck!
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Get an induction.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting destroys your joints? :huh:

My experience is actually the opposite. As I've strengthened the associated muscles, I've had a lot less joint pain and less slipping/clicking in my knees, hips, ankles, and shoulders. It was the gymnastics in my teens that damaged them. The weight lifting seems to be helping them!

Don't be afraid of the gym. There are plenty of people you can ask for pointers. Watch a couple of people who know what they are doing, and maybe ask if they have a second to spot you since you're new. Most people are nice and will give you pointers (especially guys! :laugh:) Or see if your gym has an introductory session with a trainer available. I would suggest, also, that you skip the machines and work with the free weights.
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    as a personal trainer i can totally see where you are coming from.. we all have to start someplace right? you should check in with your gym to see if they do a consultation for first timers. this would be to take you through everything and help you better understand the specifics of each piece of equipment. from the cardio machines all the way to free weights. we offer this at my gym.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    It is like swimming in cold water - it is uncomfortable at first but once you warm up, it will be fine.