ADVICE PLEASE!!! 18f trying to gain muscle!

Options
Hey guys! okay well i have recently just started weight training after only having done serious cardio workouts due to my previous ignorance on how to build healthy muscle. I am already lean and have a low body fat (athletic range) percentage and am trying to gain muscle mass. I do P90X because i can not afford a gym membership at this time and its just convenient for me. but i push my self with weights hard core on the work outs and have seen results. I have barley started tracking my macros vaguely , just rough estimates, and have yet to weigh myself again for a while (i was becoming obsessive compulsive abut just a number and not realizing thee true heathy way to be fit and lean but i assure you i have since changed and am at a great mental state. Im trying to GAIN muscle weight) This is my question. I do not have a car and i have to ride my bike EVERY WHERE, literally everywhere i go i have to bike it. Especially now that school is going to start ill have to make a two way six mile ride twice a week. Im not complaining about the distance because ive done it before no problem but im wondering will this effect my gains? what can i do in my diet to supplement this use of calories. Up the Carbs, the protein, fats? OH and i also do take a WHEY protein supplement and do incorporate a healthy source of protein in every meal, about 3-5 oz three times a day. I eat healthy and make all my foods and have eliminated pre packaged garbage. Pretty much a paleo diet. I just want to know what i can do so my body doesn't use the muscle i am trying to gain

Replies

• EpsilonGamma
    Options
    Hey

The thing with gaining weight is you need to be in a caloric surplus to gain weight. To maintain your athletic build I would suggest only adding 200-300 calories on top of your maintenance.

Next, you need to make sure you are eating enough protein. 1lb = 1g of protein.

A lot of weigh lifters stay away from cardio because it destroys gains. This is only true if you don't eat back the calories you lose.

So, lets say your maintenance is 2000, then you need to eat approx 2200. Let's say your Bike ride burns 400 calories. Then you need to make sure you eat 2600 calories that day.

Eating lots can be very difficult, so it's about eating good foods that have high calories. Avocado, almonds etc...a tablespoon of peanut butter.

With exercise, you need to make sure you are lifting heavy weights. If you can do over 12 -15 reps, then those weights are too light.

Make sure you have rest days.

On weight training days, go high protein, moderate carbs, low fat. on rest days, high protein, low carbs, mid fats.

Hope this helps
  • nahtalee
    nahtalee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey

The thing with gaining weight is you need to be in a caloric surplus to gain weight. To maintain your athletic build I would suggest only adding 200-300 calories on top of your maintenance.

Next, you need to make sure you are eating enough protein. 1lb = 1g of protein.

A lot of weigh lifters stay away from cardio because it destroys gains. This is only true if you don't eat back the calories you lose.

So, lets say your maintenance is 2000, then you need to eat approx 2200. Let's say your Bike ride burns 400 calories. Then you need to make sure you eat 2600 calories that day.

Eating lots can be very difficult, so it's about eating good foods that have high calories. Avocado, almonds etc...a tablespoon of peanut butter.

With exercise, you need to make sure you are lifting heavy weights. If you can do over 12 -15 reps, then those weights are too light.

Make sure you have rest days.

On weight training days, go high protein, moderate carbs, low fat. on rest days, high protein, low carbs, mid fats.

Hope this helps

THIS HELPS ALOT!!! you explained it so simply. I just recently bought a heart rate monitor so can track the calories burned on my bike rides and work out so i can achieve a surplus, and i definetly can eat pb and nuts and other calorie dense foods to up the calories. I just recently started tracking my meals on myfittnessplan app and even without logging exercise i realized i STILL wasnt eating enough. So definitely have to add more of those in.

Can i ask the benefit of switching moderate carbs and low fat on training days vs low carbs and mid fats on rest days?