the scale refuses to budge ??

Options
I have been quite sincere in my CALORIE INTAKE ........ very regular with my EXERCISES........ quite good with the KIND OF CALORIES CONSUMED ...... but very dissapointed with the WEIGHT LOST ??
Its been almost 10 weeks and my goal settings are to 2 pounds a week ...... and I have only lost 7 pounds in 10 weeks ???
I have cut down in size & have been doing CARDIO & STRENGTH WORKOUTS .....
Can it be that the defIcit of the weight that i should have lost has come back on in form of MUSCLE ???
Please advise as i need to know if i am on the right track, because in my opinion I am doing all the right things ?? :sad:

Replies

• HeatherH1984
    Options
    Hey,

If you're doing regular cardio and strength workouts then it could possibly be a fact of fat turning to muscle. Has your shape changed much, are you feeling more toned? People seem to forget it's not just what the scales say, it also the changes that you see on yourself. Also with cardio I take it you're drinking more water? this can also add to overall weight.

Hope the scales start going in the right direction soon x
  • psarah
    Options
    Try keeping measurements and make sure your watching your sodium.
  • DKWaggoner
    Options
    Hang in there! I am having the same problem..no loss for 2 weeks. One thing to watch closely is sodium intake,it can really effect weight loss..Good Luck!!
  • lordofultima
    Options
    Hey,

If you're doing regular cardio and strength workouts then it could possibly be a fact of fat turning to muscle. Has your shape changed much, are you feeling more toned? People seem to forget it's not just what the scales say, it also the changes that you see on yourself. Also with cardio I take it you're drinking more water? this can also add to overall weight.

Hope the scales start going in the right direction soon x

Fat cannot turn into muscle, muscle cannot turn into fat. Your body isn't a magician.
  • kiragami
    kiragami Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Actually muscle does weigh more than fat. :smile:
    Are you eating enough proteins? Are you cutting down on the white foods like certain breads, rice, potatoes and sugars? Do you get enough sleep and have your snacks planned out? (Sorry I'm writing a book....)
    I noticed when I ate less white foods and more fruits and veggies I started loosing inches. I also went to my Dr. and found the vitamins and minerals I was deficient in. Now I exercise, eat healthier and take my vitamins! :D
    Hope this will help get those questions answered.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    :flowerforyou: From reading so many postings on plateaus and the such the one constent thing that is mentioned is the changing up of exercise. Change your routine a bit maybe add a new food to your menu. Just throwing some previously posted suggestions out to you. :flowerforyou:
  • jodie_t
    jodie_t Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If you're working out pretty hard, I would definitely check measurements as well as weight. I have put on lbs and lost inches at the same time before now. Also after a fairly tough workout apparently your bod gets 'pumped up' and holds onto water for a bit until it's recovered.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Whatever you're doing, change it! Your body gets used to a certain routine and then sits there happily.

Eat more, eat less, alternate days. Do more cardio, drop the weights. Or the other way round? Lift heavier, lift lighter with more reps. Take more rest days, take less?

Clean up your diet. Eat less carbs, eat more protein. Eat less sodium. Open your diary for someone elses eyes to check it over.

There's always 'something' you can change.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Whatever you're doing, change it! Your body gets used to a certain routine and then sits there happily.

Eat more, eat less, alternate days. Do more cardio, drop the weights. Or the other way round? Lift heavier, lift lighter with more reps. Take more rest days, take less?

Clean up your diet. Eat less carbs, eat more protein. Eat less sodium. Open your diary for someone elses eyes to check it over.

There's always 'something' you can change.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • billgiersberg
    Options
    I started my weight loss at 262 after I bought a CE7.4 elliptical. I also have a TotalGym. On my own I began to watch what I ate. I took bread, potatoes and deserts out of my diet and began to workout every day. The weight came off but slowly and it seemed to find many plateaus along the way. One day I found a website that caters to TotalGym users. It totally changed my workout routines in that it might focus on legs one day and then not go back to them for 3 or 4 days. Chest and arms and then off 3 or 4 days. I found MFP shortly after that and read a few posts that threw some light on what they were doing… they were working certain muscle groups and then letting the muscle “heal”. It made a big difference in the weight loss. As to what I eat, I am still careful about eating any breads and potatoes but one thing I have started doing is to eat the whites of 2 hard boiled eggs in the morning. (I do not eat the yokes) When I don’t have this, at lunch time I feel nothing. However, when I do have the two egg whites in the morning, at lunch time I am feeling hungry. I know when I feel hunger pains, the scale will be good to me the next day. I think that eating the protein kick-starts my metabolism for the day.

So far I have lost 30 pounds. I credit my new exercise routines that target more muscle groups and allow for “healing” as well as giving the body something to work with like the egg protein in the mornings. My suggestion to you is if you are using a gym, consult a trainer to help you craft a workout routine and a diet for weight loss. Otherwise, try and find an online software trainer like I did (it is a paid subscription service) and use MFP and the forums here to assist you. I have gathered quite a few nuggets from some of the Gym Rats that log on here.