Diet questions

1- Please tell me what's the normal cup measurements for drinks and milk ,,..etc??

2- are fibers part of carbs ? will it help to measure my fiber intake ? and how can I do that?

3- I consume a lot of sodium, it doesn't exceed my sodium rate by still too much, i'm trying to reduce it, are there food that can balance this rate so that my body don't be affected by this large sodium intake ?

Replies

• When you are doing calorie counts, the MFP look up if foods gives quantities for a given food. You need a scale to weigh as most serving size is either in a volume like a cup or a weight in ounces for a given serving

As far as sodium, look for low sodium brands if u r eating processed foods, canned or sometimes frozen. Check package. Also, I use "lite salt". It is half sodium chlorides and half potassium chloride. Tastes same but don't use too much
  • 220orLESS
    220orLESS Posts: 5 Member
    1. Most drinks are measured in 8 oz as far as I can tell.
    3. Water will help with your sodium intake.
    2. When you log foods, it will give your fiber intake for the day on the list of micronutrients.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    1. A cup is 250ml.

2. MFP will track fibre. Just change your diary settings to include it. Carbs tracked on MFP include fibre but unless you are doing low carb, net carbs aren't an important measure. You do want to shoot for at least 25g if fibre daily for digestive health.

3. Drinking more water will help counteract excess sodium by helping your body to eliminate it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    1. A cup is 250ml.

2. MFP will track fibre. Just change your diary settings to include it. Carbs tracked on MFP include fibre but unless you are doing low carb, net carbs aren't an important measure. You do want to shoot for at least 25g if fibre daily for digestive health.

3. Drinking more water will help counteract excess sodium by helping your body to eliminate it.

1) Actually, a cup is 240 ml.
    2) You can change which macronutrients (fats, carbs, protein, fiber, sugar) and micronutrients (sodium, potassium, vit A, vit C, calcium, iron) that MFP shows in your diary from the settings tab when you're in your diary, or from the settings tab when you're in the home section.
    3) Water to help flush sodium, and potassium to help balance the sodium.
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    I watch the foods that are premade for sodium content if it is over 240 I don't buy. I've learn to make a lot of my own foods and I don't add sodium to them even if they ask for it.
    Now if you bake you do need to have the sodium if they call for it.
    Water will help to flush it but not eating it is the best way to cut it.

8 oz is a cup.
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    One cup really is 250 ml...
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    1. A cup is 250ml.

1) Actually, a cup is 240 ml.
    2) You can change which macronutrients (fats, carbs, protein, fiber, sugar) and micronutrients (sodium, potassium, vit A, vit C, calcium, iron) that MFP shows in your diary from the settings tab when you're in your diary, or from the settings tab when you're in the home section.
    3) Water to help flush sodium, and potassium to help balance the sodium.

I just looked up the metric conversion for a cup, and was quite surprised! You are correct, it's 240. Most recipes that give both metric and imperial will say 1 cup (250 ml) but I guess it's just for a nice round number and easier conversion for pints and quarts.