Who really counts the BLTs?

Options

Replies

• jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I don't log them. These "BLTs" and the inevitability of less than perfect tracking of other foods is why I don't eat back my exercise calories. I figure that the two balance each other out.

I do log anything more than a bite though...careful that you don't fall into the trap of "oh, I had half a brownie, that's just a bite so I won't log it....or I had half of my kid's sandwhich, etc. etc....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    thought this was abut bacon, lettuce and tomato...out...and disapointed
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I don't take bites, licks or tastes....well not ones that involve calories...

Wish they had a like button.

Liked :)
  • cherub_72
    cherub_72 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    For me the BLTs are what make this site so powerful to me. I am way to lazy to log every BLT that i used to take and I am way to honest to NOT log them...so each time I am tempted I have to make a choice. Be dishonest? Or Log it? Or...pass on it. I 9 times out of 10 pass on it. Looking at EVERY SINGLE calorie I take in keeps me from putting more in my mouth than I should. Don't get me wrong. I went to a pizza buffet on Friday. I did not log every single piece of pizza. I counted my slices and estimated KNOWING that it was going to put me over and it did...WAY over. I will never do a buffet again. They are just feeding troughs. I don't wanna be a pig lining up at a trough anymore.
  • epona08
    epona08 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    We ALL do it and I will have a hard time believing anyone who says they don't. BLTs are the Bites, Licks and Tastes we take through out the day but do you really track them?

Mothers cleaning up after their children. There's two cheetos left in the bag, do you eat them? If so, do you bust out the scale to see how many calories they are? Scrambled eggs, chicken nuggets? There's one or two bites left, what mother out there has NEVER cleaned their childs plate?

Anyone making a sandwich? Who hasn't gotten peanut butter, mayonnaise, etc on their fingers and then licked it off? Making some of those healthy cookies or muffins? Most people will use their fingers to scrape the dough/batter into the pan. Do you risk making a mess and losing all that goodness to just to make sure you count all those calories?

For all the chefs/cooks out there. We are taught to always taste your food so do you stop and weigh the taste of gravy, chili, the low fat alfredo sauce that you found a great recipe for and possibly burn something because you left the stove long enough to see how many calories a slurp of soup is?

So tell me honestly, who really counts the BLTs and how do you do it?

Ah, I guess this isn't about one of my favorite sandwiches! Boo.

I used to add a few calories every day to account for BLTs. I don't now because I don't do it anymore. If do eat a random bite of something I add it into snacks.

^^ This. Generally speaking, I don't take any bites or licks. But on the rare times I do, I eyeball/guesstimate how much was in my BLT and add it in to snacks.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    sorely disappointed..

But now I want bacon..

and.. licks.. heh..
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    for anyone else who was disappointed by this thread like i was...

blt-set-free-overlay-bg.jpg

Ahhhh, a lovely BLT. My favorite. "Except for a nice MLT: a mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomato is ripe. They're so perky, I love that."
  • dejamos
    dejamos Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Most people will use their fingers to scrape the dough/batter into the pan.

Eeeewwwww. Am I the only one grossed out by this? LOL

I pay attention to my BLTs, but I don't log them unless there are a significant amount in one day. I usually round up the gram count for everything I weigh and figure that helps offset the occasional tasting and testing.

It's been working so far, so I see no reason to change it.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I eat about 5 BLT sandwiches a day and don't count them because the bacon counteracts the carbs in the lettuce and tomato. I've had excellent results.

I thought this thread was gonna be about bacon. :huh:
  • LifeNewandImproved
    LifeNewandImproved Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I will count if it I know it is going to be over about 15 calories. Under that amount I usually don't bother. I weigh everything and usually if I am within like 3 grams I also don't fuss about it either. It's just diminishing returns is all. As another poster said - walking to and from the bathroom all week will burn numbers like that, as well as standing outside shivering for a while because it's cold. Calorie counting is not an exact science because unless you are spending big time bucks you have no idea how much you're burning every single day - everything is an estimate.
  • kazzsjourney2goal
    kazzsjourney2goal Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do count them they just add to quickly and easily, especially things like peanut butter!
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    Nope, never. But I also count myself as sedentary and don't both to log when I've drank a ton of fluids and I'm going up the stairs twice an hour instead of once. I figure it will all balance out. I MIGHT underestimate my calories by 100 (maximum) and that's perfectly okay. I don't think extreme accuracy (read "obsessiveness") is necessary or mentally healthy.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    . I don't think extreme accuracy (read "obsessiveness") is necessary or mentally healthy.

I agree. I really just wanted to see what other people did as far as this topic goes.
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If it goes in my mouth. It gets logged. Looking for something 6" later today. Maybe 12".

Subway fools.

I laughed so hard I think I peed a little.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    We ALL do it and I will have a hard time believing anyone who says they don't. BLTs are the Bites, Licks and Tastes we take through out the day but do you really track them?

Mothers cleaning up after their children. There's two cheetos left in the bag, do you eat them? If so, do you bust out the scale to see how many calories they are? Scrambled eggs, chicken nuggets? There's one or two bites left, what mother out there has NEVER cleaned their childs plate?

Anyone making a sandwich? Who hasn't gotten peanut butter, mayonnaise, etc on their fingers and then licked it off? Making some of those healthy cookies or muffins? Most people will use their fingers to scrape the dough/batter into the pan. Do you risk making a mess and losing all that goodness to just to make sure you count all those calories?

For all the chefs/cooks out there. We are taught to always taste your food so do you stop and weigh the taste of gravy, chili, the low fat alfredo sauce that you found a great recipe for and possibly burn something because you left the stove long enough to see how many calories a slurp of soup is?

I like your style. I thought you were talking about Bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwiches, though, which I LOVE. :smile:

Seriously, for the most part I do log in when I grab that extra tiny piece of roast as I'm putting it away, or if I eat a spoonful of cookie dough while baking cookies, or if I want a spoonful of Coconut milk frozen dairy desert before dinner. For me, accuracy is essential- it was what helped me lose my 37 pounds, and it's helping me to maintain now.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I don't, but then again I scrape the knife on the edge of the peanut butter jar before licking it and only end up eating an extra 1/8th of a teaspoon. Always have.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I don't count them. That's what my exercise calories are for. ????
  • wertgirlfor
    wertgirlfor Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would really nibble on is cookie dough/cake batter and that's usually licking the spoon. If it's one or two licks, I don't count it, but if it's nearing a spoonful, I count it as one cookie or cupcake.
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    Options

+500cal to 'Snacks' account errr'day. Allows for discrepancies in measurement, forgotten mouthfuls, variances in exercise length etc.

But then again I average a burn of around 1000 cal / day above allowance, so....
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I just don't eat off other's plates or lick my fingers. I have a germ phobia thing. I don't need to taste a recipe because I've made it lots of times. I don't use salt so no need to taste for that either.