Running - treadmill speed work?

Options
I've been running for 6 months now. Love it. Recently I've changed things up a little bit, though. I still do my "routine" of 3 days activity/1 rest day. On my activity days I do 2 runs and 1 bike ride, with 1 run being a speed work on the treadmill at work. I do a 5 min fast walk warm up, then up the pace to a faster pace than I usually run at for 2 min, bump it up faster for 2 more mins, bump it up faster for 5 more mins, bump it up faster for 3 more mins, then back down to the 1st pace for 2 more mins, then fast paced walk for 5 mins (total 24 mins). I aim to do this 2 times per week.

I only have access to the treadmill at work, and the past 2 weeks, I was able to spread it out 1 at the beginning of the week, one @ the end (due to being called in for overtime!). However, this week, I will only be there Wednesday & Thursday. Will it be a problem to do speed work back to back days? Or should I just only do it one time this week? I just worry that if I try to do it by myself, in my mind, without something "pushing" my legs, I won't really do it.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    I wouldn't do speed work two days in a row. Do it on whatever day you can and then on the other day do a slower recovery run. You'll probably be too tired to do an effective speed day.

I run 4x a week and do speed work only once a week. I usually do a regular run (at a decent pace - 7/7.5), tempo run, speed work, slow/recovery run.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Best recommendation is to run in the street. Treadmills do some of the leg work for you.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Best recommendation is to run in the street. Treadmills do some of the leg work for you.

She wasn't asking about where she should run rather if she should do two speed work days in a row. Thanks for your input though. :flowerforyou:

And while running outside is better and less boring not all of us can get out during certain times of the year, like say winter? So treadmill running is our only option. I, for one, am not about to go run outside when it's -20F. Nor am I going to go running because the streets aren't plowed very well. It is extraordinarily slick beneath the packed snow and there are huge pot holes that are covered by said snow that I could possibly step in and break my leg.

So treadmill running is much safer for me in the winter.

ETA: There is absolutely nothing wrong with running on a treadmill. When I ran my first half marathon several years ago all but my long runs were done on the treadmill and I finished the race in under 2 hours.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

It is -4 degree's here this morning with windchills heading to -25 to -35 below zero by the afternoon with actual lows tonight of -14 so sometimes treadmills are the only option....
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options

She wasn't asking about where she should run rather if she should do two speed work days in a row. Thanks for your input though. :flowerforyou:

And while running outside is better and less boring not all of us can get out during certain times of the year, like say winter? So treadmill running is our only option. I, for one, am not about to go run outside when it's -20F. Nor am I going to go running because the streets aren't plowed very well. It is extraordinarily slick beneath the packed snow and there are huge pot holes that are covered by said snow that I could possibly step in and break my leg.

ETA: There is absolutely nothing wrong with running on a treadmill. When I ran my first half marathon several years ago all but my long runs were done on the treadmill and I finished the race in under 2 hours.

Wow that's a great time! I would love to run a half someday. My friend at work runs two marathons per year and she trains primarily on treadmills too. She told me that she will adjust the incline to 0.5 or 1.0% every now and then to mimmic inclines and declines in the road.

Oh and OP: I don't think I would do two days of speed work in a row. I'd stick with cross training or a slower run.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Wow that's a great time! I would love to run a half someday. My friend at work runs two marathons per year and she trains primarily on treadmills too. She told me that she will adjust the incline to 0.5 or 1.0% every now and then to mimmic inclines and declines in the road.

Oh and OP: I don't think I would do two days of speed work in a row. I'd stick with cross training or a slower run.

Thanks.

I'm thinking of doing another one this year and hoping to beat that time. The only issue I'll have is my husband isn't going to be doing it with me (he did the first one with me) so training and the run itself will be tough mentally.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Kinda what I was thinking, Just wanted to make sure I was making the right choice. Looks like tomorrow will be the indoor speed work, as there is another rainy cold front coming through. Long run scheduled for Thursday after work.

BTW, I do generally run outside, I'm in FL (unfortunately...) so the snow and massively low temps aren't too much of a concern, for me, it's the rain, flooding and storms! lol

Six months ago I had a friend start me off with running using a 2 min run/2 min walk for 20 mins routine. Then I was able to make 1.28 miles with a 17.20 pace time. My last run was 8 min run/1 min walk for 39 mins, 2.89 miles, 13.35 pace time. Better? Oh hell yes. Proud of myself? Yes. But I know I can do better, & my last 5K I wanted to do under 40 mins. I missed that by 46 seconds. (yes, it was the most bitter cold day of the year, & there was a MONSTER of a wind blowing on the return trip, a lot of people were walking up the bridge, not making excuses...). So for my next scheduled on - Gasparilla, Feb 22! - I don't want there to be any doubt of being able to complete it under 40 mins.

And after I come back from my cruise in April - my 1st "goal"! - my next training goal is to train for a 10k. Still have a Half Marathon on the horizon to run towards.......
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    For a one-time event, if you enjoy the speed runs, it won't hurt you to do two in a row. You can always change the types of intervals to make it different, but even if you don't, it's not a big deal. If for some reason your legs are not completely recovered from the previous day, you'll find out soon enough. Enjoy your workout and do what you want.
  • eldamiano
    Options

Well done on your half marathon achievement. However, a few of my running colleagues can run HMs in under 1.30, and none of them would consider using a treadmill. So what does that prove? That you could have trained better had you not done so on a treadmill?

The treadmill does do some of the work for you. You cant do your HM on the treadmill so how can a treadmill prepare you for the levels of variation that occur. On a typical half marathon, you could have any number of elevations in a short space and it is harder to do when you are having to do all of the work.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

OP didn't ask "what's better, treadmills or outside" OP asked "can I do speed work on back to back days".
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

Well done on your half marathon achievement. However, a few of my running colleagues can run HMs in under 1.30, and none of them would consider using a treadmill. So what does that prove? That you could have trained better had you not done so on a treadmill?

The treadmill does do some of the work for you. You cant do your HM on the treadmill so how can a treadmill prepare you for the levels of variation that occur. On a typical half marathon, you could have any number of elevations in a short space and it is harder to do when you are having to do all of the work.

Wow dude. Backhanded compliment much? You do realize that when you use a phrase like "however" it pretty much negates everything you said up until that point, right? So yeah. Thanks for smacking down my achievement. Hope you're not a motivational speaker.

Also I'm pretty sure you read my comment wrong. All but my long runs were done on a treadmill. My long runs were done outdoors around my neighborhood which is extremely hilly so yeah, I was prepared for the elevations and the one "hill" on the course.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Wow dude. Backhanded compliment much? You do realize that when you use a phrase like "however" it pretty much negates everything you said up until that point, right? So yeah. Thanks for smacking down my achievement. Hope you're not a motivational speaker.

Also I'm pretty sure you read my comment wrong. All but my long runs were done on a treadmill. My long runs were done outdoors around my neighborhood which is extremely hilly so yeah, I was prepared for the elevations and the one "hill" on the course.

I trained the same way you did and was a 1:30-1:45er.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options

I just love the way people turn every discussion into their personal soapbox to preach whatever philosophy they adhere to. Next thing you know "Steve" will get on here and start telling you not to run... just skip breakfast!

I don't run that much yet, just starting myself, but I would think that a rest day in between would be better.
  • eldamiano
    Options
    [[/quote]

[/quote]

What are you banging on about? No backhander intended at all. I could have just left out the compliment and it would have made just as much sense. Would you have preferred me to criticise your running times too?

By the way when you use phrases such as 'You do realise...?' and 'you read my comment wrong', and comment on the context in which I should use simple, point-arguing words, that you sound patronising and insulting other people's intelligence as if they didnt know what they are saying, although you dont actually know who I am at all.